Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gaming Conponent Stress

Hey HWC,

What components are stressed the most while gaming?

Thanks!!

-Plato
Old January 2, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Video card, cpu, RAM, and most importantly, PSU.

... at least I would say...
Old January 2, 2010, 10:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Video card, cpu, RAM, and most importantly, PSU.

... at least I would say...
And HD.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was borderline on HD..... I figured a HD would work harder copying a file (reading then writing) from one drawer to another rather than just the burst style reading of loading a level or something.... what do you think?
Old January 2, 2010, 10:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I was borderline on HD..... I figured a HD would work harder copying a file (reading then writing) from one drawer to another rather than just the burst style reading of loading a level or something.... what do you think?
Yes, but the thread is asking which components are the most stressed while gaming, not which components are stressed more by gaming than by anything else.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And since all those components are on the motherboard you could say that it's being stressed as well. So basically every component in your PC :) It really depends what the parts are though cause maybe you have a beast of a CPU/GPU that could handle it no problem or maybe you have a dinky CPU/GPU and it struggles to play the game on low settings.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, I've tested these components:

720BE: Check - Orthos 2-3hour stable
Corsair Ram: 7-10 pass Memtest stable
8800GS: OCCT/Furmark stable, but not gaming- black screens like a b*t*h (720BE system). Only (5200 system) is stable while gaming with the 8800GS (@105*C)

Seasonic S12 650W: Uncheck- Shouldn't be a problem tho... its overkill for the 720BE system
HD: Uncheck
Gigabyte Mobo: I have no way to check that...

What program do i use to stress/check my hard drive?

Thanks

-Plato
Old January 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Well, you could download the disk check utility from the manufacturer and check for bad sectors, but that's about all you might need to test as far as reliability goes. You could also get a program like CrystalDiskMark to test the actual speed of your HD.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Your power supply has 18A on each of the 12V1 12V2 12V3 and 12V4.

Your connected properly right (question)

your ram is not tested much while gaming, neither is your hard drive. It is all video card, cpu, and psu.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Ok, I've tested these components:

720BE: Check - Orthos 2-3hour stable
Corsair Ram: 7-10 pass Memtest stable
8800GS: OCCT/Furmark stable, but not gaming- black screens like a b*t*h (720BE system). Only (5200 system) is stable while gaming with the 8800GS (@105*C)

Seasonic S12 650W: Uncheck- Shouldn't be a problem tho... its overkill for the 720BE system
HD: Uncheck
Gigabyte Mobo: I have no way to check that...

Thanks
I would not worry about the HD. The HD wouldn't just show up in gaming, you'd have an issue all the time. (I assume this thread is about some sort of problem you're having with gaming)

In my opinion, I'm not satisfied with your level of testing on your CPU. I've done all my Orthos runs for 24 or more hours and had plenty fail at the 4 to 6 hour mark. Honestly though, after the 8 hour mark without failure I've never had one go on to fail. Also, I've found folding@home with a VM to find instabilities in a processor's overclock that Orthos did not pick up. (Spontaneous resets with a 550BE oc'd to 3.8 and quaded)

RAM looks to be fine. I don't expect there to be a problem.

The 8800GS is the most suspect to me at this point. That's quite a high temperature. Also, I started a thread here or added to a thread on here before regarding an 8800GT that hit those temperatures. It would not play Crysis (would crash after landing in the water in the opening scene) but it could run OCCT endlessly. It was RMA'd to BFG and the replacement card worked.

PSU should be completely fine. That's more than enough power for that system and then some. Because I can, I would swap out the PSU for a while just to completely rule that out.

I don't like your short Orthos stability test at all. If I did that I would have a good handful of machines out there that would be locking up a lot and some pretty unhappy clients.

At this point I suspect your video card the most, however...