Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Unknown slowdowns

Hi, I am having some unknown slowdowns which started occuring sometime after I got my new Dell U2410 (not sure if its linked). The actual slowdown always happens when I start to watch a video such as the ones linked in this thread Yahoo's Top goals and saves of the decade, but it does not always happen when I watch such videos.

When the slowdown starts, the screen turns black for 3-5 seconds, then I get something like 1 frame per 3 seconds in my action (meaning moving the mouse around). The last 2 times it happened, I just did a complete system restart but the previous times, I don't remember what I did, but it was ok after. Shutting off FF does not fix the problem. Now, the programs I have running when this happens are Firefox (on which the video is watched), WMware player (I am folding with my CPU), FahSpy, MSN and the regular crap (although that is also the regular crap). The computer on which this happens is shown on the top right, the CPU is overclocked at 3.6ghz, before the oc was a little lower, but nothing big. The o/s is Win 7 RC for a few more days.

Anything I should be aware of that can be causing this problem.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

DO you watch the video in full screen mode? Perhaps it is having trouble switching to the resolution of the video (ex. its a resolution not supported?)
Old January 2, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, it always occurs when watching the videos in full screen, but I think it never did happen with youtube videos, the resolution is 1920 x 1200, so its nothing excessively special. Any fix to it ?
Old January 2, 2010, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Could be specific to the videos at that site or the site itself. May need a software update (quick time, adobe flash, etc. depending on the site).

I know of the trouble you speak (or something similar) ages ago, but do not know the definite fix :(
Old January 2, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only videos I can recall perfectly were those from this site: The top 10 greatest goals of the last decade - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports but only those from NHL network online.