Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default D1601 LED

So I bought a Titan Fenrir heatsink for my CPU. I replaced the stock heatsink, put some AS5 on, stuck the Fenrir in, and everything booted fine. It was running a little to hot considering the cooler, so I thought I put too much AS5 on. I redid it with less paste, put it all together, hit the power button, but nothing on my monitor. Everything turns on fine, all fans spinning etc. but the D1601 Over temp protection LED on my 4870 vapor-x flashes. The only thing I did was remove the GPU from my motherboard so I'd have more room to work, I didn't do anything to it, so I don't know why it would be going over temp right now. It seems this could come down to either a GPU, motherboard, or psu problem. Right now I'm going to see if I can borrow a card from a buddy to test on my motherboard, if it fails, I know its the motherboard, if it works, its my GPU. Are there any other tests I could do, or should I just RMA my GPU and motherboard anyways?

Specs are in the right drop down box BTW.

Edit: I had overclocked my CPU to 3.6GHz with the next step up in voltages, stable for an hour in Prime95 torture test, but I did remove the battery and waited, so it should have reset the CMOS.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update: I noticed that whenever the D1601 LED comes on, so does the HDD LED on the front panel. Also, when I push the reset switch, both the LEDs light up. If I hold the reset down, the leds stay on with it. Could it be possible that one of the front panel connectors is causing the motherboard to short somewhere? Say, a naked wire touching the metal case?

Close thread, I fixed it. When I resat the heatsink the second time, the CPU didn't go fully into the socket Resat it, again, made sure the CPU was in, and off she went.

Last edited by Iphikratous; January 3, 2010 at 07:39 PM.