Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Screen randomly flickers black (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/27227-screen-randomly-flickers-black.html)

Lpfan4ever December 30, 2009 04:51 PM

Screen randomly flickers black

This has been getting really annoying as of lately. I upgraded to the Samsung 2343BWX and when playing COD:MW2 I've been having my screen randomly go black. It happens as well when I'm on my desktop, but I've only seen it happen once or twice. It happens in game almost every time I play, and it's as if the monitor stops getting a signal for a second.
My refresh rate and resolution are both set properly (60Hz and 2048x1152) and I'm very sure that my video card is not an issue of it not being able to handle the game. That leaves me with either the cable being the issue, or drivers. I'm using the 25 foot, 24+1 pin DVI cable from NCIX, nGear branded. I recall people saying it was not able to fully support 2560x1600, but I'm only at 2048x1152. It worked flawlessly when on my 2053BW, which is at 1680x1050. So, that's what I'm leaning towards, but I have no other DVI cable to test with. (My monitor only came with a VGA cable) As for drivers, I've only been using this monitor since the 26th and haven't touched the drivers since the switch between monitors. The random black screen has only started popping up a day or two ago though. I am soooooo lost.

As always, suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. It sucks trying to defend a flag with a blank screen :bleh:

hedgehog88 January 13, 2010 07:07 PM

I have had this issue in the past with an old Samsung 19" where it randomly goes black, but didn't flicker as you describe yours. Surprisingly it was a cable problem, as I first thought it was a defected monitor.

Now I'm no "great" as compared to some members here, including yourself, however I would suggest trying a different DVI cable first. Try to find one from a friend as I'm sure at least one has to have a spare. If not, many a VGA to DVI adapter?

Try reinstalling the driver maybe? Maybe the monitor menu settings is configured wrong?

How long have you had the monitor for? Have you thought it may be an issue with the monitor itself?

Hope you resolve the problem:thumb:

Jhayman January 16, 2010 11:49 AM

I had the same problem but it would do it no matter what I was doing..
I was in fact the DVI cable I had a spare luckily..:biggrin:

Arinoth January 16, 2010 11:50 AM

Are you folding on one of your graphics cards while gaming on the other? If you are using the force flags (ergo no dummy plug) i found the system will do that whenever its folding a new work unit.

Lpfan4ever January 16, 2010 11:55 AM

Heh, I gave up trying to fold on this thing. So many problems and so little PPD. It seems the issue has stopped, so I have no clue what was causing it. The only thing that I have changed recently was returning the underpowered UPS my mom bought for Christmas and getting the next model up that could handle my PC on full load.
Weird...

Perineum January 16, 2010 12:29 PM

I would think it would be the DVI cable, at least, that's the first thing I would rule out.

Jhayman January 16, 2010 10:48 PM

Mine started randomly as well, then got persistantly worse..
Until I replaced the DVI cable and it stopped completely..
I would just pick up an extra one they are pretty cheap..

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpfan4ever (Post 318747)
Heh, I gave up trying to fold on this thing. So many problems and so little PPD. It seems the issue has stopped, so I have no clue what was causing it. The only thing that I have changed recently was returning the underpowered UPS my mom bought for Christmas and getting the next model up that could handle my PC on full load.
Weird...

Perineum January 16, 2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpfan4ever (Post 309988)
I'm using the 25 foot, 24+1 pin DVI cable from NCIX, nGear branded. I recall people saying it was not able to fully support 2560x1600, but I'm only at 2048x1152.

... I have to ask.... why 25' ?

jcmaz January 17, 2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 318950)
... I have to ask.... why 25' ?

I wonder if he has 25 foot mouse and keyboard cables LOL!!!

hedgehog88 January 17, 2010 09:43 AM

25'...that got my thinking, maybe along the line of it got clipped somewhere?