Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2009, 02:17 AM
Rookie

Default STOP: 0X000000F4 error on startup

Hi, i have a problem with my dell laptop running vista. Basically whenever i start it up windows asks me if i want to start it running normally or repair mode. Whenever i select either of these options i allways end up getting a blue screen with the error message

STOP: 0X000000F4 (0X00000003,0X84BA04D0,0X84BA061C,0X81290330)

Now im not really sure what to do and im not sure what has caused this, as everything worked normally and this has just happened randomly, any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive been told it could possibly be hardware related issue so i was wondering if there are any programs which could analyse the system on startup from a bootable disk so it can pinpoint the problem?

thanks
Old December 30, 2009, 06:44 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It can be a new application that needed a driver, and said driver is incompatible with the OS.
It could be a dying HDD, or ram sticks. The latter is easier to check, download and run Memtest86+ to check the ram. If there are errors, then you need new ram.
For the HDD, use SmartFan and one of the apps tabs will show S.M.A.R.T. HDD info.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, i will test these if the method im about to explain fails. I have actually been searching around on the net and found that you can burn your own recovery disk for vista and boot it from startup and do a system restore ect. Here is a guide for doing the system restore,

Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Now ive got up to part 4 but cant get any further because it says i need to load drivers so i click that and then it says 'insert the installation media for the device and click ok to select the driver', i click ok and then it opens up a box with computer, system files ect and it wants me to find a file with setup information. Now i dont know which file of where the file is on the computer i should select, but when i select a file and its the wrong one it says 'the specified location does not contain information about your hardware', so which file should i be selecting? Also i couldnt find out if this version of vista is the 32 or 64 bit, its not on any stickers and obviously i cant get into the computer to find out, could i find out through bios or something? The disk for the recovery is the 32 bit version but i dont know if the laptop is 32 or 64, could this cause a problem?

Here are a few pictures of the above i have explained (sorry for the bad quality)

DSC00164.jpg picture by peter762033 - Photobucket

DSC00163.jpg picture by peter762033 - Photobucket

DSC00160.jpg picture by peter762033 - Photobucket

As you can see the local disk doesnt show how much space free or how big the drive is, and i cant go into it either, if i do everything goes grey and i cant click any buttons apart from x to close the page, is this showing that there is a problem with the hardrive?

DSC00161.jpg picture by peter762033 - Photobucket

Really appreciate the help!

thanks
Old December 31, 2009, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Ok i scrapped the above idea. Ive found this system recovery cd which looks pretty good but complicated to use, has anybody here ever used this? Will it allow me to retrieve my files onto an external harddrive, then i can reinstall vista?

SystemRescueCd

Thanks!
Old January 1, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Note that a 32-bit Vista DVD can only restore a 32-bit installation, and the same goes for 64-bit DVD and 64-bit OS. Did Dell not provide you with an operating system disk? My Inspiron 1420 has a 32-bit slightly-branded Vista Business DVD which I used to reinstall without most of the bloatware. If you can get into your files somehow, you can quickly check if you have 32-bit or 64-bit OS because a 64-bit Vista will have the folders C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and C:\Program Files (x86), while the 32-bit Vista will not.

I have used SystemRescueCD, but I'd only recommend it if you are familiar with Linux, as it will dump you to console when you start it. You can use it to copy files from one hard drive to another, by mounting both your OS drive and the external drive, and using CP Linux and UNIX cp command help to perform the copy.

If you are uncomfortable with this, I have successfully copied one of my friends' files to an external hard drive with a Ubuntu live cd Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu, by drag-and-drop. BartPE Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD would be even better if you have an old Windows XP CD and Windows XP machine lying around, since you get a Windows environment rather than Linux trying to work with Windows partitions.

EDIT: Oops, should not have enclosed links in greater than and less than signs... they were interpreted as tags

Last edited by frontier204; January 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old January 1, 2010, 08:27 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
BartPE would be even better if you have an old Windows XP CD and Windows XP machine lying around, since you get a Windows environment rather than Linux trying to work with Windows partitions.
BartPE rocks! I'd backup with it prior to any more experimenting, troubleshooting or reinstallation attempts.

Old January 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i had a similar error on a friends pc and resetting the cmos fixed it... Not sure if you can reset a laptops cmos though.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:31 AM
Rookie

i had this problem too.. but i stop 0x000000f4 error by using (PC Health Advisor) its brings together high quality tools in one comprehensive program. This advanced software makes it easy to fix, clean and optimize your computer. PC Health Advisor gets things running right again by ejecting active malware, updating drivers, cleaning your Windows registry, defragmenting the disk, helping you update drivers, finding programs to open file extensions and getting rid of cached information that slows down your PC.

Last edited by rhmitul; August 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM.