Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would not trust what the temp monitors are telling you, although if it does run well when you point a fan at it, then perhaps it is a heat issue- perhaps there is some other cooling component on the motherboard (mosfet or nb coolers) that aren't seated right- this is actually fairly common- I make a point of pulling them all of and reseating them with my own thermal interface compound.
Old October 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I would not trust what the temp monitors are telling you, although if it does run well when you point a fan at it, then perhaps it is a heat issue- perhaps there is some other cooling component on the motherboard (mosfet or nb coolers) that aren't seated right- this is actually fairly common- I make a point of pulling them all of and reseating them with my own thermal interface compound.
Doesn't doing that void the warranty? Would it not be simpler to RMA the motherboard and replace it with a different model that has better cooling? Also does anyone have a similar system to mine? Could you check your system temps and tell me what they are?
Old October 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not sure about other motherboards, but with EVGA, you can get away with just about anything under warranty.
Old October 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

I have never replaced a NB heatsink before so I am a little hesitant to do it. Can anyone link a good walkthrough?
Old October 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Adding more fans can actually reduce the air cooling effectiveness, by creating turbulence. What you want is a clean airflow, in and out, without too much turbulence created by the wiring. How's your cable management?

Next, you don't loose your warranty by replacing the thermal paste on NB and SB heatsinks. But before doing so Babrbarossa may be on something here: start your computer and wiggle the NB and SB heatsinks - if the contact is not perfect and the temps rise, it will shut-down automatically to protect itself.

If they are loose, verify why. Broken clip? Clip not secure? Then you may replace the thermal paste, or change the heatsinks alltogether. I don't find this necessary though - a thermal paste change should be sufficient.
Old October 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How To: Reseat that ASUS NB/SB heat pipe system and shave off some °Cs - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old October 13, 2007, 01:06 PM
Allstar

Maybe you should just RMA the MOBO and call it a day?
Old October 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Does anyone have any idea where the system temp sensor is located on my board? It would be helpful to know what section of my mobo is getting so hot.

GA-P35-DS3R
Old October 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you systematically gone through your system and made sure that all power and cables are properly and securely attached?

Have you played with your voltages at all? maybe you've got too much voltage running through the memory, or too little through the CPU
Old October 14, 2007, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

Well now I have gone and done it, I attempted to replace the thermal past on the north/southbridge heatsinks and now my computer won't start! I am writing this post from my laptop.

When I actually had the heatsink off the southbridge, I could see that the thermal paste had never even come into contact with the chip, it was just hovering about it. Similarly, when I took off the northbridge heatsink, it seemed as though the thermal paste had hardened, like it had once been touching the chip but then got shaken loose during shipping.

I managed to get the southbridge heatsink back on tight (despite the crappy plastic clamps) but I think the northbridge heatsink is still loose. I might just take it down to my local computer store and see what they have to say about it. Then hopefully I will just RMA this nonsense board and go back to Asus