MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's a 15 amp circuit.
Old January 1, 2010, 11:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Most DVOM's are fused for 10amps max. I do not have an inductive amp clamp. MY PSU can put out far more than 10A on the 12V rail. This seems to me that I cannot test the 12V rail myself.

I put the PSU in an old Pentium 4 for testing (P4 - 2.53Ghz w/533FSB). I had recently installed Windows 98Se onto the "Garage/Shop" PC. This old PC ran fine with my now questionable Apex 600W PSU.

The first picture is the bottom of the PSU PCB. The slight browning maybe from the heat during assembly. Maybe not, I'm no EE/ET.

The second picture is an opportunity to upgrade which just presented itself. The PSU Under-volts the 120mm fan when temperature is cool (read normal). It's pretty quiet. But when I swapped over my newly retired Arctic Cooling CPU fan it's basically silent.

My Thermaltake Extreme 120 CPU cooler now has a Noctua NF-P12 fan running silent @ 12V (currently my old fanless 7800 is hooked up instead of my 9800 - The silence is golden).
Attached Images

Old January 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I tore apart an old answering machine and made a PC speaker.

I am getting a standard "1 beep" when I power on.

I tested my PSU on my old garage pc. it boots and runs fine.

Any thoughts???
Old January 2, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad I could help:)
Old January 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is the computerin the garage have stata oris it ide. Try powering your drives from a 4 pin conector may have fried stata power lane on power suply. Its a thought anyway :)
Old January 4, 2010, 06:25 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The garage computer does not have SATA.

IT turns out I was using a molex to SATA adapter. I tired the normal sata power - no difference.

I got the thought to try and use a DVI to VGA adapter and try and VGA cable (maybe my dvi cable is bad, or my dvi input on my monitor).

Well its running in the back ground.

So far I am running a VGA cable on my old video card and running fine now. I need to test about my newer card and cables. BUT YEAH I am up and running again (even if only @ partial capacity).
Old January 4, 2010, 06:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

And yes I did re-assemble my PSU with the quieter AC fan. The air coming out the back seems warmer due to somewhat lower air flow. The air is still barely warm. Also as an added bonus I no longer have that silly blue LED glow.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:40 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
I tested my PSU on my old garage pc. it boots and runs fine.
?
The brown stuff on your PSU board is resin, due to a bad cleaning after the soldering

I totally disagree with your methodology of testing the PSU,

you don't test the 12 volts PCIe power cable... and what about the EPS connecot, did you test it on the old board, ot that old board have no EPS connector. I don't know why spent so much in a board and cpu, you don't try with a new PSU

I tell you in your other tread, it's the PSU or you GPU.... I have the feeling that motherboard and CPU still working.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the mention about the resin Markone and thanks everyone for the help.

What is the EPS connector? My garage computer has 20pin main power, and also uses a small 4 pin elsewhere. Seeing as I have not been able to get my good video card to work yet I am thinking you may be right. I don't have much in the way of computer games but I will need to see what I have, install and try to load up my PSU - see if it starts to show signs of trouble when I try to tax it.

Not to mention trying again with my 9800GTX+ of course
Old January 4, 2010, 06:57 AM
Banned
F@H

I don't fallow anymore me. 2 treads is to much, in the other one you said the things work on analog, but not on digital, and now it`s not working....

so if I'm right the thing work with a GPU that don't need an extra 12 volts power , right, and the new card have a power connectors, if so, it's your PSU the problem.