Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Fried 2 CPUs - As in fried the CPU and then a test CPU? OR he friend 2 test CPU's??

Either way that REALLY sucks!

I ordered a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Mmmmm Yes. FINALLY I can OC again. I think I've had my ASUS board for a year or so, not able to overclock (and desperately wanting to). Before that I had an ECS board. $60 off ebay - had build in OC functions but they didn't work for the cpu at all (though they did for the ram). Atleast the ECS board was rock solid. My lil bro stil has it! The last time I could REALLY try to OC was with my old P4 1.8. Yeah it's been a while, and back then I was just learning. I learned the hard way not to flip the fan (upside down) as I cooked that cpu quick lol...

I was planning to do some wind tunnel style cooling for my computer once I get the board. CPU gets cold air and directly exhausts. This is the reason I kept my old ugly beaten case.

Maybe I will be "un-lucky" and its my CPU. Then I would have to suck it up and pick up an E8400

WAIT, I take that back. I hope the CPU is good. Then when I grab an E8400 I can use the E6600 for my garage computer! (Music, Service manuals, internet, I'm a car nut).

* Breaths a long sigh of relief
Old December 16, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

was not sure where the problem was and fried a test then his main cpu in it suck big time ( it wasn't high dollar cpu's but still )
Old December 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default NEW TS Questions

Well I ordered the mobo from NCIX. The site said paypal usually takes an extra 1 - 2 days for processing, but my ordered arrived in less than 48 hours. BOO-YAH!

I installed the new board in my case. Fire it up. Fans kick on as they should, PSU fan runs and lights up, I have 1 hdd hooked up (750gb) which makes a click and spins - seems like its being accessed like it should. Still no video. I swaped the video card, and I have 4 sticks of ram, I tried all possible combinations using 2 sticks using all slots (ALL possible combo's) Any thoughts about the ram being ok/bad? (all 4 sticks were installed in the computer when I messed her up).

I do not have another PSU I can try (none with 24 pins for the mobo ) Do you guys think my PSU is ok? Faulty? or??? Next, onto the CPU - any thoughts?

I knew I may have prematurly bought the mobo, but I loathed my old one, so I didn't mind that risk.

Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old December 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try another PSU coz the PSU is connected to the wallsocket...

-Plato
Old December 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OH MAN, I sooooo overlooked the obvious. I can TEST my main PSU by hooking it up my "garage" pc (uses 20 pin). DUH! .... Thanks jcmaz!
Old December 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I would try another PSU coz the PSU is connected to the wallsocket...
ya no kidding how did i miss that ( i miss sh1t all the time )
Old December 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I thought about testing my PSU but "knew" I can't. My old one only has 20 pins.

Then when jcmaz mentions testing the PSU it hits me. Reverse the test. DUH!!! I hooked up my 24 pin psu (minus the +4) to my garage PC. Well it booted up and ran fine.

It was time to place another order. I ordered the following:

E8400 - DYING to OC again. Yeah I'm gonna overclock the sh*t outta this b*tch.

Noctua NF-P12 - I do not have any case fans atm, I just run open sides but I would like to change this.

Noctua NF-P14FLX - See above.

Innovation Cooling IC7 Diamond 7 - I have some AC 2 and 3 but they are almost empty.

Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive - After having difficulty installing Ramsinks on my old video card I decided to superglue them (with thermal tape in between of course). I figure this is a better idea.

Arctic Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2 Thermal Surface Cleaner & Purifier 60ML Kit - Since I had trouble with previous ramsinks, I thought maybe this will help the thermal tape stick (so that I won't have to make the mod permanent - VERY important since I am planning to buy a Prolimatech MK-13 (upgradable mount) when it comes out.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I installed the E8400 in the Gigabyte board. Ultra 120 Extreme Cooler. Diamond Paste.

I have tried both DVI connections on the 9800GTX+ (This card was installed during mis-hap). The same goes for the old 7800gt. Each card was tried in each PCI-E slot, one at a time. The monitor shows no signal.

The board does not have a PC-Speaker or said connector.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default UPS power back up power condioner

You Ground falted to your ground in the wall socket. chek that the power suply in the computer is set to 120 v. How many anps are being drawn o the cercut in the basment. chek the insided of the power suply fore a fused link or use a power suply tester tester to check out power suply volts and amps 30$ gagget.

Run a seperate wire from your power pannel to your comp. GFI split plug (3 wire and ground) 20 amp each plug this will give you 2 two cercuts isolated from the rest of house. Use a battery back up on each plug and you are golden. You may forget the amout of power that a CRT draws on start up you might have over drawn the cercut.

at least buy the best power bars you can afford and use them
Old January 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Everything else was plugged into a very respectable power bar w/ surge protection. A UPS is likely overdue.
The PSU automatically "selects" the voltage - no manual switchfor 110/220. I will crack her open and take a look. I know how to use a DVOM for autmotive use, so I should manage ok
Yeah I totally forgot the degauss, start up-draw. The computer is basically the only thing on that circuit. Amperage to the computer should be fine.