Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Default Spilled water, now won't power on.

Specs:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev. 1.6
  • XFX Radeon HD 4890
  • Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 6GB 3x2GB DDR3-1333
  • 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
  • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W PSU
  • Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus heatsink
  • Case fans + a bunch of cheap GELID fans
  • Coolarmaster cm 690 case
Someone spilled water into the case (the top is mesh) while it was powered on. It promptly bluescreened, and now won't power on. When the PSU is switched on and power button pressed, nothing happens. Fans don't start, no LEDs turn on, no beeps, no noise.

However, my USB-powered light-up mini xmas tree thing still works, so I'm inclined to believe the PSU survived (and part of the motherboard too?).

I'm not really a hardware expert, but my preliminary guess is motherboard and/or CPU (the most expensive parts, go figure...). Is there any way to test the motherboard, CPU, and possibly PSU when the machine won't power up?

Thanks, and sorry that my first post is asking for help. >.>
Old December 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Rookie

I've seen something similar happen before, no guarantees but in my case the only thing that got fried was the Motherboard....can't promise anything but a little hope maybe.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ouch that sucks. Only way to test is to have more parts around. Another 1336 CPU for your mobo, another mobo for your i7. You could maybe take it to a hardware shop and get them to test it for you.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I was thinking of taking it to a hardware shop, but was wondering if there was a way to definitively diagnose the problem without swapping stuff out, as going to a shop will probably add quite a bit to repair costs versus just buying and installing replacement parts.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh that sucks. good luck i have troubles of my own ( changed gpu now no post ahhh )
Old December 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are all the case fans plugged into the motherboard or are they plugged into molex off the psu?
Old December 10, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Take it apart and dry it thoroughly. Could just be wet somewhere and shorting. If it wont post then the board is prob shot.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:56 PM
Rookie

@Arinoth: Come to think of it, the fans are plugged in to the molex of the PSU. I guess that might indicate a shot PSU as well. However, as I mentioned in my OP, I have a little USB-powered light-up thing which still works, meaning power is flowing somehow, at least to the board and then out via USB.

@Eldonko: I'll try that tonight. If it still doesn't POST, how safe is the assumption that the board is dead?
Old December 10, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If something is dead the first thing is probably the MB, but the PSU could be fried as well. If you take it all apart and dry it completely it could be ok. Ive soaked many systems that lived after drying out.

I wouldnt waste $ on a tech shop, we can tell you how to do anything you are not familiar with. :)
Old December 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Let it dry first. Clean it As best you can and then give it a days drying time.