Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Would it potentially be time for him to remove the pc and bake the mobo?
Old December 10, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Air dry is fine. Just take it apart, remove, CPU and mem and let the board sit on its side overnight in a warm spot. CPU socket is a good place from a drop of water to be hiding.
Old December 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

sorry to hear that girlfriend needed more attention then the PC....lol

best thing don't try to reboot anytime CP shuts off from wetness...only thing to do is air dry with blast can and place in oven till it just kicks in (150f) or use a hair dryier an let stand a day by heater vent/rad to completely dry
Old December 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed. Whenever you spill water on something, don't try your luck by pressing the power button.

Be patient, let it dry for an extended period of time, and try it, since it will greatly reduce the chance of doing physical damage to the board.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

yeah man. put it in a warm spot and be patient.

A shot of air and a blow dryer can help. You might want to avoid putting it in the oven unless you know exactly what you are doing. And don't place it to close to a heater, those things can get too hot for stuff like that.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:05 PM
HaDeS

Like everyone else said... give it time to dry out. As for testing you should start with the most obvious... the Power Supply. If you google around you'll find a link to run a power supply without it being plugged into the mother board. Then you can test all the molex etc to make sure the power is getting through with fans.

Once you've figured that out you need to test the mobo. Starting with the cpu and nothing else. Make sure the cpu has the HSF installed or you could fry it. Make sure you also have the speaker plugged in because it will give you bios beep codes. Then you slowly cycle your other hardware in until you've figured out what is fried. IF nothing happens from the CPU stage then the mobo is more than likely cooked.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

I spilled water all over my rig, multiple times. However, it was distilled water, but it was a lot of water. I just unplugged every cord and hooked up all my case fans to a second power supply and ran them on high speed for a few days. Dried it out, and posted fine.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Okay, update!

Took everything apart and there was no visible water. Let it sit to dry for a few days. It still won't power on.

Tested the PSU using instructions from here. PSU seems to be okay.

When the PSU is connected to the motherboard and the power button is pressed, the PSU doesn't come on. This leads me to believe the issue is the motherboard.

Do you agree? I don't want to order a replacement until I'm absolutely sure.

EDIT to add: Could it possibly be the CPU instead? Is there any way to tell besides swapping it out for another (which I don't have)?

Last edited by CK89; December 14, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old December 14, 2009, 11:36 PM
HaDeS

can you test this on another motherboard? IF not I would begin the process of rma'ing the mobo.
Old December 15, 2009, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Sometimes you can visually see if components are destroyed. Look if you can see if anything looks burned. Also check internal fuse in PSU. Also if your system still has warranty, don't do anything just bring it back to the shop where you bought it from (and don't tell you spilled water ).