Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 06:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default CPU dying???

Hey guys,

Today I received my brand new case (), had to re-seat my CPU since I cleaned it, actually, it was one of the first time in a long time my CPU was off, dunno if it was damaged in any ways due to long term use, but since I had taken off my cpu, I had to remake my OC settings (and it's not a big OC...only a small bump to 3.2ghz) yet it seems my CPU won't take it, not even 3.0ghz, no matter what voltage I throw at it this kind of OC shouldn't require much over-voltage...if any, yet I always had to push it to over 1.45V to keep it stable @ 3.2ghz. I know my cpu is kinda crappy from the start being a C0, but how can it became THAT bad? :\ It's cooled pretty well by my H50, temps rarely go over 65-70C.

Could it be that my CPU is dying or can it be my RAM?

I'll be passing some memtest to see if I get any errors...if it's not the ram, I hope my CPU will be stable enough at stock to fold
Old December 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

did you try a clear cmos and then start form there
Old December 7, 2009, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you update the bios at all, sometimes bios updates screw with OC settings. Also, are you sure you are bumping up all the right settings to get to 3.2GHz? i'm looking at 1.45V for 4Ghz and i only needed 1.375 for 3.8Ghz (also have a C0/C1) so i suspect something may be up with your settings.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
did you try a clear cmos and then start form there
I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Did you update the bios at all, sometimes bios updates screw with OC settings. Also, are you sure you are bumping up all the right settings to get to 3.2GHz? i'm looking at 1.45V for 4Ghz and i only needed 1.375 for 3.8Ghz (also have a C0/C1) so i suspect something may be up with your settings.
I've done a bios upgrade a while ago (read: long time ago) that destroyed my first OC (I could make it to 4.5ghz, 4.0ghz stable back then) but I didn't really care, my PC was stable still and it was better for temps so I never reverted back to the previous BIOS, since then, I never updated it. Lemme see with E-leet what is my current BIOS ( I don't remember the exact numbers...)

Other than that, I pretty much used settings coming from some moderator/admin from the eVGA's forum, their settings we're working great

EDIT: Forgot I couldnt see the BIOS with E-Leet lolz.
I'm using Bios version S717. Should I update to the latest BIOS (S71H) or go back to the original BIOS?

Last edited by Lamb; December 7, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Was able to boot with 3.2ghz with everything at auto, e-leet says 1.152 core voltage and ram set @ 2:8 (1066).

I can get up to 3.6ghz without any trouble as long as ram is @ 2:8 (1066mhz) even with 1.65 on ram voltage...could the problem be with one of my sticks? Because as soon I try to bump it to 2:10 to get 1600mhz blue screen

Anyways, prime95 for the night to see if the proc is stable @ at least 3.2ghz with auto settings, that's the freq. I've been using to fold, so that's the bare minimum to achieve for me.

Also, I did update BIOS to S71H, which seems to be a little more cooperative than S717

EDIT: Decided to go directly to the point, 4ghz.

The PC boot without problem with these settings;

QPI 200mhz
Multi 20x
Uncore 3200mhz (16x)
2:8 (1600mhz) 9-9-9-24-74
W/o VDroop
1.475Vcore (e-leet says 1.494)
VTT +300mV
PLL Auto
DIMM 1.65
+0mV
PLL Vcore 1.400
IOH/ICH 1.650
ICH Vcore 1.25
Disabled turbo

Is the system stable enough to fold? I'll know by tommorow!

Prime95 now, don't let me down pretty CPU

EDIT#2 : HOLY COW! Forget the 4ghz, after not even 2 minutes of Prime95 I get 95-100C, wayyyyy too hot

Back to 3.2ghz, was happy with this speed for the last few months, dunno why I wouldn't be happy with it now ;) Good point: was able to lower Vcore by quite a margin, almost 0.1V under what I needed before, I'm sure I can do better, we'll see tommorow!

Last edited by Lamb; December 7, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 05:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Everything seem stable now with the new BIOS and settings.

3.2ghz @ 1.3V (where I used to have to set it as high as 1.45V with S717...)

Right now I'm testing the PC with my 'regular' folding, 4 instances, 1 with BIGWU's and advmethods, 3 others are ''standard'' (no bigwu, no advmethods) + gpu client

Gained a good 10C for lowering the Vcore.

Glad to see my CPU wasn't dying afterall (well see...) and that it may just have been settings/bios.

P.S: Sorry for the triple post ^_^
Old December 8, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you sure you can't get more at that voltage just seems kinda high for only 3.2
Old December 8, 2009, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
are you sure you can't get more at that voltage just seems kinda high for only 3.2
I'll see to lower the voltage even more after I'm done 'importing' my 100ish CD's (will take ALOT of time...).

If I can stay under 1.25V that'd be great.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
I'll see to lower the voltage even more after I'm done 'importing' my 100ish CD's (will take ALOT of time...).

If I can stay under 1.25V that'd be great.
ya that's the kinda voltage i was talking about good luck
Old December 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Dancing_Banana

Hope it's stable now! Going from 1.47ish to 1.25ish isn't bad at all! Currently moving 8gb of music towards my external HDD while having 4 instances of CPU F@H and 1 of GPU F@H and typing on these forums...doesn't ''seem'' too unstable for the moment...(hope it doesnt crash while I'm not there :s)
Attached Images

Last edited by Lamb; December 8, 2009 at 01:16 PM.