Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynerd View Post
Like i said the computer doesn't post it doesn't even turn on it just lights up when connected to power. And 3.0v is constant even if the battery is almost dead what shows the amount of energy left in the battery is the amps or in this case milliamps. I will probably just replace the battery anyway but i was curious to know.
its not the battery for it keeps time and bios info for MB

its not posting from other things like ram,video,psu or worst thing a corrupt bios

you have the system speaker working .......any beeps when try to boot

i had a moniter cable come out once!

using 2 moniters with the primary not set to your desktop will give no video

this a new setup or was a working system before no post?

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynerd View Post
Like i said the computer doesn't post it doesn't even turn on it just lights up when connected to power. And 3.0v is constant even if the battery is almost dead what shows the amount of energy left in the battery is the amps or in this case milliamps. I will probably just replace the battery anyway but i was curious to know.
3mA does not tell you if you have 3.0v or 2.0v, or 1.0v. When a circuit needs 3.0v to work, it generally requires something around that figure. Anything below 5-10% will be problematic. In a PSU, the normal tolerance is -5% for it to support the circuits. If a battery is near end of life, I do not think that it will show the normal voltage. Try out on a used 1.5 volt battery, it will not be 1.5v, and if it drops to 1.0v, your devise will not work.
Old December 6, 2009, 05:23 PM
HaDeS

look fellas... he's already stated the bios doesn't keep the HDD config. Replacing the battery is a good place to start and it doesn't cost much to do. Let him replace the battery and then move on from there because not all hardware was created equal. Just because your board or another board booted with a dead battery doesn't mean they all will. I know someone personally who lost their raid5 config multiple times due to a bad battery on the motherboard. They replaced the raid card and the hdd's before they fixed the simplest and cheapest thing.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

CR2032 LITHIUM BATTERY | Lithium Batteries | TheSource.ca

6 bucks CDN
Old December 8, 2009, 04:54 AM
MVP

battery replaced and dun dada daaa!! nothing -_-! And by won't post I mean when the green led is on the motherboard and it's all hooked up and receiving power if i push the power button to turn it on nothing at all happens not even a flicker or click or sign of life. I suspect the motherboard because i tried with a second psu and it still didn't work. And this happend when i came back from vacation and as a safty measure i dissconnected EVERYTHING from the computer before i left. So I can't think of what dies by sitting, maybe corrosion on the board or something. Thats why I thought the battery it's the only active part during the entire time.
Old December 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
MVP

Does it change anything if i said in the user manual that came with the motherboard said the battery was for CMOS and RTC ram? doesn't mention bios
Old December 15, 2009, 10:30 AM
Rookie

By the way when handling a battery cell never touchs the poles. It discharges in seconds, but you won't notice because of the low voltage. Always touch cells on the sides.