Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

Default Strange PC issues of recent

Hi gang, I must say, this new series of problems on my main rig have me stumped.

On Friday night, I came home from work to find my computer had BSOD on its own, the first time I have had a BSOD that I hadn't caused myself. Essentially I blamed iTunes as I was doing iTunes work in the afternoon before rushing to work in the snow storm.

That night, I could not have the system post. I killed all power to the system and then I was able to post and I put my OS disc in the drive and tried to do a repair and was unable to. So I gave , went to sleep and zeroed out my SSD drives to prep for a full reinstall of the OS. Saturday night I started the process, the OS installed fine but I have had non-stop problems with stability.

I have been getting BSOD after BSOD with this since Friday night and I'm worried I might have failing hardware although it's almost all new hardware.

I have gotten several BSODs of the following types:

0x0000000A
0x0000001A
0x00000019
0x00000050

The system is not overclocked at all. To address what I suspected as memory issues due to some of the BSODs relating to memory mapping issues, I removed half the ram and shited the sticks to try different combinations. The RAM checks out fine in memtest86 stress tests. I thought it might be inadequate power or data connections so I reseated all of the data and power cables in the box. I flashed my BIOS to the latest one to reset the BIOS settings and rule out whether a faulty BIOS could be to blame.

Now power resets or surges have occurred in the home.

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.16GHz (stock speeds)
ASUS Maximus II Formula Motherboard (latest BIOS)
8GB XMS2-8500 Corsair memory (4x2GB) 1066MHz RAM
2x OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 w/latest firmware (OS drives)
2x Samsung 1TB HDD in RAID 0 (Data drives)
1d OCZ Summit SSD non-RAID (Games drive)
2x HIS ATI 4770 Video Cards in XFire (latest drivers from AMD)
1x Corsair HX750 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Are there ways I can test my motherboard for fault? The system stays quite cool as I have a TRUE heatsink with 120mm fan inside a HAF932 case.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by Rommel; December 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old December 2, 2009, 05:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Could it be one of the Vertex drives giving problems, did you try installing on other drive? Don't know that much about SSD's but I would assume there is some software to test the integrity of the drive?
Old December 2, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Googling those codes indicates hardware/drivers/services incompatibilities. There are quite a few references to BSOD associated with iTunes. Have you changed anything around lately?
Old December 2, 2009, 06:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally i'd suspect either the motherboard of the PSU since you have managed power surges/resets and unless you have an actual decent surge protector sometimes those power spikes can get through and hit the psu (and even potentially the mobo). Though if stoanee has done some of the leg work and said that its potential driver/hardware incompatibilities perhaps you need to install all the drivers for your hardware from the manufacturers' website rather from any discs you may have. If it turns out to be iTunes, all the more reason not to use it, i have never had a single issue with winamp and i've been using it since its conception.
Old December 2, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

power issues are the hardest on HDD if getting spikes/brownouts best invest in smart-ups , i've gotten one an never had hardware failure or corrupt files since.

power disruptions are deadly to system

reason why i use one, killed MB for hydro flicked once while flashing a bios
Old December 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Googling those codes indicates hardware/drivers/services incompatibilities. There are quite a few references to BSOD associated with iTunes. Have you changed anything around lately?
Nothing internal has been changed lately. I haven't introduced new hardware in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Personally i'd suspect either the motherboard of the PSU since you have managed power surges/resets and unless you have an actual decent surge protector sometimes those power spikes can get through and hit the psu (and even potentially the mobo). Though if stoanee has done some of the leg work and said that its potential driver/hardware incompatibilities perhaps you need to install all the drivers for your hardware from the manufacturers' website rather from any discs you may have. If it turns out to be iTunes, all the more reason not to use it, i have never had a single issue with winamp and i've been using it since its conception.
I don't use driver discs, I go to the manufacturer's website. I reformatted on the weekend once as mentioned due to a problem with what I thought was iTunes. I do not have that application installed currently since the reformat.

Based on my googling and stonee's efforts I am suspecting video card drivers. On Friday morning, I had 9.10 Catalyst. Today I have 9.11 Catalyst. I'm going to do another reformat today and use the older drivers.

I use winamp all the time as my primary multimedia application for playing songs and movies. I only use iTunes because I have an iPhone and music synching and the apps store are there.

I'm confident I'll get the issue and I have a strong feeling that there is no hardware failure, more along the lines of my gut instinct.

This site is amazing to bounce ideas off of as the community is great. I'll play around some more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks thus far gang!
Old December 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

I should have also mentioned the following. I received the Black Screen of Death on Friday night.
Here's a primer:
Slashdot IT Story | Black Screen of Death Not Microsoft's Fault
Old December 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Do Windows 7 and Itunes get along?
Old December 3, 2009, 11:07 PM
Banned

I thought I fixed my issues yesterday by reformatting and installing an older version of Catalyst. Nope, several BSODs still.

I thought everything pointed to a failed mobo and I ran another set of tests tonight, this time addressing memory specifically by splitting up my ram into it's factory pairings. Sure enough, the ram I bought earlier this year is the culprit, at least so far. I am refusing to jump the gun but 4 different paired tests in all the ram slots has yielded two failed memory tests and two successful tests. Time to at the very least get my instant product replacement on the memory.

iTunes AFAIK works fine in Windows 7.
Old December 4, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Time to at the very least get my instant product replacement on the memory.
Don't kid yerself , it's not instant.

They had my 260 for 3 days now......no word.

GL !