Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Default Bad framerates and benchmarks

Hello everyone, I signed up to post here because I'm in dire need of help!

I'm pretty sure my computer is not performing where it should be and I can't figure out why. If anyone could help me fix this I would appreciate it so much because I'm just out of ideas.

First off, here are my specs:

OCZ 600watt PSU
Intel i7 2.66
EVGA X58 SLI LE mobo
ATI HD 4850
3gb DDR3 Ram OCZ
Win7 64-bit

My furmark score is 1500. Shouldn't it be around 6000?
My 3DMark Vantage score was about P4500

I can't play Modern warfare 2 because of horrible framerates. Arkham Asylum and Assassins Creed also have bad framerates. Just about every game.

When I click and drag my mouse across my desktop the selection box lags very noticeably behind the mouse.

My drivers are up to date!!

I got to a point where I purchased a Nvidia 9800 GT and there was no difference in anything. So i guess its not a video card problem.

I have used Driver Sweeper and reinstalled my drivers so many times already. I have installed the newest chipset drivers.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!
Old November 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you install a fresh OS on it? Try doing a repair install or maybe even a complete reinstall if you figure all the drivers are ok. And make sure under display settings, your monitor's refresh rate is set to 60Hz, although that has nothing to do with your Vantage/3dmark score.

Last edited by headsh0t; November 28, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old November 29, 2009, 12:14 AM
Rookie

Yes it was a fresh install. at first i had 32 bit and it was performing the same and i reinstalled 64 bit fresh. it didnt make a difference at all.
Old November 29, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

all your drivers are installed and you have checked to make sure it's not overheating ( temps )
Old November 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Yes, all my drivers are installed and up to date.
While I run furmark my temps are around 66C for the GPU, 55C for the CPU and around 68C for the CPU core.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok well you seem to have checked every other thing so with out have said computer i am out of suggestions check ram timings but i doubt it ( and i figured that you did a cmos reset just to start form a new) it should not effect anything but you never know
Old November 29, 2009, 03:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds like your GPU isn't switching out of 2D / low clock mode. Download GPU-Z from Techpowerup and check what the clock speeds are. Then, go into the Monitoring tab. The 1st section should be the GPU core clock. Note the speed. What is it? If it is anything lower than the reference speed of the card, keep the GPU-Z window open and launch a 3D app. Play got a few seconds and then quit. Now click the Clock Speed indicator in the Monitoring tab until you see a small "Max" appear. What is this number? Is it higher than the original number?

Also, ensure that you have the latest DirectX installed.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:49 PM
Rookie

SKYMTL,

My core clock reads 160 MHz while just on the desktop and jumps up to 670 MHz while I play a game. So I guess it is working correctly?

I just dont understand how it doesnt perform as well as it should be, and also how would it explain having switched GPUs and having the same problem? Could it be another hardware issue?
Old November 30, 2009, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try taking out one stick of ram and run it in dual channel mode. Do you have the latest BIOS? Is the PCIe port your GPU in stuck at 1x?

As someone above mentioned you might try to reset your BIOS to it's default settings to make sure something didn't get changed accidentally. Like your ram voltage. If your BIOS sets your voltage at 1.8v and you need 2.1v this could mess things up. I know your using DDR3, I'm just using my DDR2 as a reference.

But any small thing like that is easily overlooked. Did you have any part of the system overclocked while installing windows?
Old November 30, 2009, 08:47 PM
Rookie

I've tried taking out a stick of RAM and I got no success. I tried all three.

I don't think I have the latest BIOS, I'll look into that on the EVGA website tonight. I'm pretty sure my voltages are all default, I haven't overclocked anything yet since I'm having problems.

What exactly do you mean by having the PCIe slot stuck at 1x?