Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2009, 03:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
note take out new MB from box
look under MB for long wires, solder drips that stick out too far, use a nail clipper to trim the excess off so not to short out
Nothing stands out as being too long, but regardless, I had the same result with the MB out of the case as I had when it was in the case so I don't think it's a case of the MB shorting out.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would RMA it for sure.

Those Two Green holes you marked to the west of the CPU socket are only used for a Mofset Cooler , either gigabytes own in the higher end model of that board or something like a thermalright one.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2009, 10:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well Gigabyte just approved the RMA so I'll pack the board up & send it off today.

I'm assuming I'll have to clean all the thermal paste off the CPU/heatsink & reapply some new stuff once the replacement arrives?
Might be a good excuse to grab a CM212 or something :)
Old December 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
HaDeS

yep start fresh... and I would look into cooling where the green holes are left of the cpu ;-)
Old December 2, 2009, 06:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Good news!

It had been bugging me all day & I wanted to give it one last go before returning the MB to gigabyte.
Assembled the basics outside the case, and when I re-installed the CPU I noticed that it wasn't quite sitting flush in the socket. Pushed it down, reinstalled the cooler & everything else, hit go & hey presto - it worked!

Took everything apart again (except the cpu/cooler) & put it together inside the case. A couple of the MB screws wouldn't tighten on the standoffs so I had to use the regular case screws instead of the MB screws as they were a bit longer - hope that's not a Bad Thing.
Hit power & everything still worked, so finished installing the rest of the components.

Unfortunately, my Windows 7 didn't like the blank hard drive, so after a call to M$ support I was advised to install XP and then do the Win 7 install as mine was an upgrade version.
Guess I'll be doing that tonight & when that's done I'll see if I can unlock those extra cores.

Thanks very much to everyone for their advice!
This was a great practice run, and I'll be much more confident when it comes to building my stepson's computer with him at Christmas.