Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Question Can't boot my computer after crash

Hi guys,

So today I was gaming and my computer suddenly shuts off (I don't think I saw the lights flicker) so I think it was just a crash. The next thing I know I try turning it on and nothing shows up, my monitor is all black ("no signal" reads, I tried another LCD and neither works) everything is set up correctly I think. When I turn on the computer all the fans function, at 100% as well I think. But nothing will show up, I tried hooking up the monitor to the intergrated graphics from the motherboard and my graphics card, neither work. I assume my video card is fine. I think the problem is either the CPU or motherboard, the CPU was working good and is fairly new so I don't think it's that, but I noticed that on the back of the motherboard there is no status LED near the gigabit port where there usually is one.

I tried resetting CMOS via the jumper and taking out the battery, but it still doesn't POST. I was wondering if anyone could make a guess to help me out on what is likely to be the problem.

I'm also gonna try to run the CPU on my friends computer to see if that was the problem.

Thanks
any help appreciated

Specs:
Intel C2Q Q9400
MSI G33M G33 Motherboard
2GB DDR2 800Mhz
8800GT 512mb

Last edited by Polygon; November 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old November 19, 2009, 03:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

if status light is out means you have failed PSU or AC line
switch out the PSU make sure alll connectors are plugged in good
Old November 19, 2009, 04:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have a status light on my motherboard, but the PSU is only 6 months old. I'll try an old power supply and see if the power supply is the problem. Otherwise, OCZ will have to replace it... :(
Old November 19, 2009, 06:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yup it was the power supply. I'm gonna try to RMA it.