Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
Banned
F@H

that's the best way.... but for came back to the registry... I delete the post I start on it, because I will have pass the rest of the month... but what the bad things do ( no necessary a virus ) they delete the sub key of the one I post before... it's may be why you don't see them. too ... what I did once was to copy this part of the registry from an healty PC ( with same OS ) you have to use export and do a tricky restore... but it was on a PC with a special and expensive accounting software that can't be reinstall ( the programmer close business ) In your case ...flush ( you can always place the HD in an other pc for save some data , but at your own risk , I use a PC on my bench only for that ... with an image on an external drive )
Old November 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

/\/\ That would be part of the re-install option; I would even protect my own rig using VMware and create a sandbox then map the infected drive to copy over the personal files.
Old November 12, 2009, 07:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeh, I had to do a reinstall. thankfully this machines restore has a backup feature. so everything that wasthe recent OS is now in a save file. Unfortunately all the owners programs are going to have to be reinstalled. owell, at least there isn't any more virus.. i hope.
Old November 12, 2009, 07:00 PM
Banned
F@H

I like your Vmware idea, , can save me a lot of cloning from my image will check for it.... many option are posible...he can even boot a live linux and throw the files on a USB key or a spare HD .... or even better .. use a linux partitioner and shrink the partition , create a new one at the end of the drive and transfer the files there
Old November 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Overclock what exactly you means by restore backup . I'm a little be worry
Old November 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

No offense intended mark..but your English is a little broken...

As for backup. it seems the installer took the files from the old os (not including the OS files) Like pictures and whatnot.
Old November 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
Banned
F@H

ya I know , especially tonight...I just remove the RC and install win 7 x64 on my PC today , what a pain..... so no corrector install yet ...it's not that I don't try
Old November 12, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah shit, I guess I never got here soon enough...

I completely cheat to do these....

I have a HD with Windows 7 on it and I put it in the affected computer and boot up my "fixer install". On this install I have Malwarebytes, antivirus, etc.

I then scan and clean the affected machine.

I remove my drive, boot up off their drive again, install malwarebytes/antivirus and redo the scans. The initial scan from my fixer HD removes most of the executables and stops them from running.... but usually you find remnants when you rescan when booting from their drive hence the rescans.

Fixed in 3 to 4 hours mostly automatically while I'm doing something else

I totally love Windows 7 for how it "just works" on every computer I've installed it on. My fixer Win7 drive just boots up and works from machine to machine without hitches.
Old November 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeh i first took the drive out of the computer and put it into my home one and did the same thing. and i'm sorry if i offended you there mark. didn't mean to. my apologies
Old November 12, 2009, 08:28 PM
Banned
F@H

do i look offended.... the what a pain was for the re install of 7 , I run into a lot of problem... first I want to add a second raptor in raid 0, this drive was in an other pc... the ghost of the raptor to and other drive crash, after the install of 7 , I install a wd 640 black for the data. it take me 20 minutes to figure why my Stalker was not installing... the Plextor was on the wrong channel . it's very crampy a squeleton for 3 drives