Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   DIR-615 Losing internet connection... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/25448-dir-615-losing-internet-connection.html)

Ironmonk November 12, 2009 10:59 AM

DIR-615 Losing internet connection...

Hello!

For the past 2 months, Ive been experiencing random internet disconnections with my DIR-615 router. Surprisingly, the local network is still accessible while the internet drops. Also, my cable modem lights show that there is no problem with the internet connection when I look at it during the internet disconnection.

I have assigned IP's to all of the computers on the home network besides the 2 laptops, that uses DHCP.
Here's a log of my router:

(REMOVED THE LOG TO PROTECT MY IP)

I dont understand much of that stuff, besides this:
""" Obtained IP Adress using DHCP. IP address is 192.168.100.10 """"
If i type that IP in firefox or windows explorer, I don't get any results. Also, this is not an IP on my LAN.

I really want to fix this problem so I can play games without getting disconnected every hour or so =/!

spaghett November 12, 2009 12:10 PM

Have you tried updating the firmware? Go to d-link's website and download the newest firmware and try to update it.. sometimes that can help (remember to follow the instructions and use a computer that is connected via ethernet not wireless to update it)

D-Link Wireless N Router

Also check your cable that goes from your cable / dsl modem into the router, it looks like it keeps disconnecting...

You can also try hitting the DIR-615 with a hammer, just hit it a couple times with a hammer and then throw it in the garbage.

KaptCrunch November 14, 2009 05:06 AM

yes update your router with RJ45 not wireless

didn't say what OS using an connection type, bridged or proxy

Note its not a good idea to post your systems ip's, it inviting hackers

i see using Videotron your isp

sswilson November 14, 2009 12:21 PM

You also didn't mention what apps you're using.... if you do a lot of torrenting you might want to limit the amount of external "connections" your software allows. If you've got 2000 people trying to hit your router for a file it can overwhelm a non-commercial unit.

headsh0t November 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaghett (Post 286590)
You can also try hitting the DIR-615 with a hammer, just hit it a couple times with a hammer and then throw it in the garbage.

+1 to that. I went through 2 DLink routers that had the same problem you described. It would drop the internet connection, and I'd try to make it reconnect and it would just drop it again. Usually required a reset (power cycle). So after thet second one, I bought a Linksys WRT54GL, installed Tomato on it and guess what? No more problems! I don't think this thing has ever dropped the connection from my modem except for the one time my internet service was actually down.

Nodscene November 14, 2009 01:36 PM

+1 for updating the bios. Make sure to back up your settings though. If you are still having problems I'd probably give my ISP a call and get them to test the lines for noise.

b1lk1 November 14, 2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 287462)
+1 to that. I went through 2 DLink routers that had the same problem you described. It would drop the internet connection, and I'd try to make it reconnect and it would just drop it again. Usually required a reset (power cycle). So after thet second one, I bought a Linksys WRT54GL, installed Tomato on it and guess what? No more problems! I don't think this thing has ever dropped the connection from my modem except for the one time my internet service was actually down.

I love my WRT54GL. Never an issue ever. I still run the stock Linksys software/firmware and have never had an issue compared to the D-Link/Netgear routers I have tried.

KaptCrunch November 15, 2009 08:34 AM

out of the box Dumb-Link has problems with thier power requirements ....got 7v PSU for a 5v unit

guess what happens over time

fail from over volted unit

so check your DLink supplied PSU with multimeter

Ironmonk November 16, 2009 08:50 PM

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

I forgot to mention that I upgraded the firmware on my unit prior to asking help over here. On a side note, my internet disconnection problem is now SOLVED!:

I called my ISP and they found out that my line was not stable ever since I got their 30Mbps service. Upon inspection, the cable guy had to replace the RG59 cable coming from the pole to my home by some RG6. I'm no longer disconnecting from the net!