Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2009, 01:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default PS3 Mobo red light

Ok guys. I recently got a free PS3 Broken. no warrenty or anything. and i thought i could fix it.

So, after i cracked her open, i saw liquid on the MoBo... that's always a bad sign. so, 3 hours after scrubbing it down, I tried it. but... no go. so maybe the PSU? nope. wired it up to a ATX and still same problem. Oh and if you are wondering what its exactly doing. It turns green 1 sec yellow then 3 beeps and blinking red light. So i decided to be meticulous and i have my volt metere out and now i want to test all the contacts to see where I may be having problems... but I do not know how much voltage is suppost to go where. And.. I'm no electrician of any sort.

So my question is. does anyone know how to test a board properly, and does any one know where a MoBo schematic could be found. thanks.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

no one eh?
Old December 14, 2009, 05:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
no one eh?
They don't exist to end users.

The issue your encountering is a YLOD. Yellow Light of Death. It is caused by the BGA solder joints under the CPU/GPU disconnecting from the motherboard because of heat.

Only way to fix this is to reflow the BGA for the CPU and GPU. Lookup PS3 YLOD Fix.
Old December 14, 2009, 05:29 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Try baking the motherboard, like some managed to bring GPUs back from the dead after a 200F (is it?) run in the oven...
Old December 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I know nothing of the PS3, but best of luck with the repair. Let us know how things go!
Old December 16, 2009, 06:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Have you tried taking out the HDD and reconnecting it?

Seen a couple posts around google now about the red light meaning a hard drive failure.