Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*sigh*, I'll be interested to see if it does or not....
Old November 21, 2009, 01:23 AM
Rookie

Okay so, I got my new hard drive and I have way too much crap on one large partition (no, I didn't partition my drive) to backup so that it will fit on any sort of external storage that I currently own.

I was wondering if this would work:
-I setup my new hdd (WD 6400GB Caviar Black) and install Windows 7 on it (and set it to boot first)
-reinstall any apps and games I want on the new hdd
-Keep videos, music, and any other media on my old hdd (seagate 500GB 7200.10).

If this will work, how should I partition my new hdd to perform optimally for gaming (or rather, what is the most optimal distribution of data, software, games on this two-hdd setup)?
Old November 21, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just clone your old HD on to the new harddrive and keep the old hd around as a backup in case your new HD is a dud.

I use Acronis for my cloning software, I'm sure there are freeware type programs available if you don't already have it....

Or perhaps someone has a suggestion.... Hell, I just found out about imgburn a short while ago....
Old December 14, 2009, 04:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryab View Post
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry that it is.

Anyways, ever since I got my computer (second hand) and formatted it with Windows 7-64bit, I've noticed that there is a stuttering (pausing for fractions of a second) issue my computer constantly experiences.

My hardware consists of:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB HDD
Q9550 processor
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 GPU
2x1GB DDR2 RAM (CPU-Z says DRAM Frequency is 332.5MHz. Otherwise, I do not know much else about the RAM)
ASRock G31M-S motherboard
OCZ Fata1ty 550W PSU

My BIOS and video drivers are up to date.

I was wondering if someone can help me pinpoint what part of this build is causing my videos/music/seemingly all activity to stutter even when simply opening my Firefox browser or surfing the web.
ASRock still making motherboards that do this eh? Jesus.

It's the motherboard, I can bet on it. I have an ASRock upstairs that does this. ASRock is Asus on the cheap. I recommend trying a new board and ditching the ASRock. No offense but your build was NOT properly picked out, your components with an ASRock is just retarded. That mobo has 4 phases for the CPU, horrible. Unacceptable for a Quad Core.

Quick rule of thumb. Want a good system? Don't spend less than $100 on the mobo.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:35 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryab View Post
Okay so, I got my new hard drive and I have way too much crap on one large partition (no, I didn't partition my drive) to backup so that it will fit on any sort of external storage that I currently own.

I was wondering if this would work:
-I setup my new hdd (WD 6400GB Caviar Black) and install Windows 7 on it (and set it to boot first)
-reinstall any apps and games I want on the new hdd
-Keep videos, music, and any other media on my old hdd (seagate 500GB 7200.10).

If this will work, how should I partition my new hdd to perform optimally for gaming (or rather, what is the most optimal distribution of data, software, games on this two-hdd setup)?
Make 2 partitions on the blackie 640gb. Keep your programs and other stuff that you need fast transfer/access speeds to on the outer tracks, i.e. the first partition. Keep data on the inner tracks. It sounds as if the 500gb is dieing soon, from the looks of the hdtune graph the drive is gonna give up real soon. May be worth checking the smart data in parted magic. I'd say make the 500gb into one big partition, and maybe keep your /swap or pagefile in there.