Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I think you need a bit more ram. I would go for 4 gb minimum and see what that does. It seems to me that you may have too many processes running in the background. Try finding a program that will balance out the usage of said processes like process lasso:

Bitsum Technologies

Also I would reseat your cpu cooler using a good quality TIM in case temperatures are affecting things. If your processor is not overclocked and your case has good airflow the stock cooler should be adequate for your needs.
Old November 2, 2009, 10:37 PM
Rookie

I didn't close the hwmonitor yet. I hope this screenshot from when I first ran it is sufficient.

I also attached a screenshot from my HD Tune 2.55. Not exactly sure what all the numbers mean but I know they're a lot lower than the screenshots I saw of caviar blacks when researching this issue.
I ordered a new HDD (the caviar black because I saw it on sale with cheap shipping on ncix) because the stuttering seemed to be occuring when the hdd was audibly spinning. I was going to get a new HDD sooner or later anyways.

My next COA is to look into getting new RAM if the new HDD doesn't fix the issue. If I'm considering upgrading my MOBO in the future, will my current ASRock G31M-S function if I use DDR2 PC2-8500 1066 MHz 4GB (2x2048) so that I can take full advantage of the RAM with my a new mobo that supports it?
I'm asking because I see a couple of used OCZ2RPR10664GK's on sale for $60.
Attached Images

Old November 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I found a list of ram that is guaranteed to work with the G31M-S R2.0 here (Not sure the difference between R2.0 and R1.0 or if there is any, and which one you have). It has some OCZ 1066Mhz ram listed but not the one you have listed. I think it should work anyways but you might want a second opinion.
Otherwise it looks like your running stock voltages which is good. If the WD caviar black doesn't fix it, then it could be lack of ram that Stoanee said.

I looked around and only managed to find 1 review of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB HDD with HD Tune results:

It looks like it's a bit faster comparably, but I don't think the performance should result in stuttering. Although yours looks a lot larger amplitude fluxuations, but I really don't know what effect that would have.

Also, you can go into the performance tab in the task manager and leave that running in the background, when your system stutters, you can go check "Physical Memory Usage History" to see if your system is trying to use all 2GB of ram at one time.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:35 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
yours looks a lot larger amplitude fluxuations, but I really don't know what effect that would have.
Oh you mean stuttering, the effect of that would be his computer stuttering.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
So it's the HDD then? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't used HD Tune at all but I guess I probably should have been able to 2 and 2 together , guess that solves that.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Actually, I don't think the computer necessarily did when at those fluctuation points.

And Fox,
I had the Task Manager open when the stuttering happened again and there was no spike in the "Physical Memory Usage History" graph.

I really hope replacing my HDD and/or upgrading my RAM fixes this issue.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't be getting those low points like that in HD Tune.... it should be like the other picture Fox posted, that's how mine is and I'm running the Seagate drives...

Did you run a defrag?

Oh, and in defraggler go into the options and turn a few things on.... Find the "defrag" tab then put a checkmark on everything on that tab, but don't change anything else. Then run a defrag.

Do a few more defrags until it more or less isn't doing them anymore, IE: works for 30 seconds and then just says done.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:06 AM
Rookie

Actually, I don't think the computer necessarily did stutter at those fluctuation points.
I finished the defrag last night and ran it again just now (1% fragmented. let it run its course though) and it's still stuttering.

And Fox,
I had the Task Manager open when the stuttering happened again and there was no spike in the "Physical Memory Usage History" graph.

I really hope replacing my HDD and/or upgrading my RAM fixes this issue.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I was looking around, and this is a far strech but it's easy to check. Some people get their HDD stuck in PIO mode vs UDMA. I don't know if this still happens (most posts are about XP) but who knows. I also don't think it would cause stuttering, just painfully slow transfer.

Edit: Easier way is just go into device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and your HDD should be in one of the ATA Channels.

Last edited by Fox; November 3, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:40 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryab View Post
I could be wrong on this, but if you still have sufficiant memory available during the stuttering, I don't think it's due to lack of Ram, so far it looks like all signs are pointing towards HDD.