Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2009, 01:26 AM
Rookie

im talking about what will happen after i accidentally touch my video card?
Old October 31, 2009, 02:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. The card is working fine right now, right?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 31, 2009, 05:00 AM
Rookie

its fine as of now its just that i am worried about the effects later.( its my first high end card thats why im kinda paranoid about it)
hey linus in your unboxing vids do you have antistatic wrist strap while unboxing?
Old October 31, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

omg your way to paranoid. here you got me thinking that somethings wrong with it. I have never worn an anti-static wrist band don't worry about it ( and if your working on your pc leave it ground and touch the case)
Welcome to HWC
Old October 31, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is this lol??? Troll???
Don't worry about that dude you can sleep well now.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 31, 2009, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Is this lol??? Troll???
Don't worry about that dude you can sleep well now.

Ask for more.
wow try to help someone
Old October 31, 2009, 08:42 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

It's true that in some cases you can kill hardware with an ESD without even feeling it, but I've personally never had it happen to me after handling probably thousands of different PC components with exposed circuitry and never wearing one of those silly wristband things. Fire up your PC, and as long as the card still works, you're golden.

Ask for more.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It's true that in some cases you can kill hardware with an ESD without even feeling it, but I've personally never had it happen to me after handling probably thousands of different PC components with exposed circuitry and never wearing one of those silly wristband things. Fire up your PC, and as long as the card still works, you're golden.

Ask for more.
I wear the bracelet out in public for fashion purposes.

Ask for more.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, you're a bit too worried. If it's working now, shrug it off. I personally wouldn't be worried. The cover isn't even on my computer and I'll reach in and molest my video card for shits and giggles.

By the way, old stuff was much more ESD sensitive and a static shock that you feel is in the thousands of volts. So it *is* possible for a shock that you don't feel to damage stuff.

I would fully expect card failure, however.

To put the concerns of the OP to rest though, he could test his card using FurMark 1.7.0 which would test the core and then use MemtestG80 which would test the RAM on the card.

I think that should do it...
Old October 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol you're asking if you've pooched your card but it's still working. I'm gonna also take a stab at it and that your daddy bought you the card. You're a funny guy. Lol "I touched my card" OMG!!! Sorry to poke fun but I've been Ell Oh Ell'ing since first starting to read this thread!

But seriously though, next time your cleaning your case just touch a part of the exposed metal on your case and voila, you're grounded and no ESD. This actually reminds me that when I got my ASUS A8N32 SLI-Premium from ebay back in the day, I found pieces of carpet within the anti-static bag and like stuck on the mobo. I was like wtf did this guy rub this on his carpet before sending it to me. Luckily it still worked. And that's why I don't buy PC parts from ebay anymore.

Ask for more.

Last edited by headsh0t; October 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM.