Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   -12v Rail and Poor Performance (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/2462-12v-rail-poor-performance.html)

kcksteve September 3, 2007 10:18 AM

-12v Rail and Poor Performance

Okai so the other day i decided to put a new sound card and networking card in my bros pc(PD 3.4ghz, crapy asus mobo w/intel chipset, XFX 8600gt 550w power up psu) after i did this instalation went smoothly but later when he rebooted we couldnt get video we removed the new cards and still no video then i reset the bios and used the onboard video to into the bios diable the onboard video and then we could video from his card again so now he's back to using onboard sound + networking but with a small problem. He used to get 70-100fps in CSS now he only get like 12, when i went inot the bios to check the temps it read -127*c so i konw thts not right and when i checked the voltages with AIDA32 they were decent except instead of giving me the +12v it gave me the negative (on my pc and my other bros pc it gave me the positive) and it was -1.25v, its the same with the -5v only readin -1.1ish.
so now im stuck i dont know if the card did something to the mobo or the psu is gone but the performance of his pc has gone down the drain (i told him not to use it for now till i can get it figured out)
any help apreciated:biggrin:

enaberif September 3, 2007 10:20 AM

I would definitely be looking at switching out that powers supply.

JD September 3, 2007 10:30 AM

Yeah definately. Try taking the PSU from your case and putting it in his. If all works fine, then get a new, high-quality PSU. Perhaps Antec EarthWatts? Relatively cheap with good performance.

kcksteve September 3, 2007 05:11 PM

psu

yah i have a atx 1.0 psu so im need to go get a new one anyways (running two 450w) any one have any other ideas or is this the culprit?
btw wht should the -12v reading be at -12v give or take?

sswilson September 3, 2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcksteve (Post 18807)
yah i have a atx 1.0 psu so im need to go get a new one anyways (running two 450w) any one have any other ideas or is this the culprit?
btw wht should the -12v reading be at -12v give or take?

I don't think I've ever seen a -12V line be read properly by a software monitor.

Mine's currently reading -16.64V! :shok: :shok: :shok:

(I don't believe it... the other computer is reading -1.58V....:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: )

kcksteve September 5, 2007 04:55 PM

i bought my new psu (cooler master extreme power duo 600w) and it didnt help my bro at all (temps, voltage readings)he can now play games at noram l fps back on his old psu so thts confusing. i went and talked to some guys from the local computer shop and they said tht i might be the fan reading the temp wrong, i thout the temp were taken from a monitor on the die itself not the fan? now he gets random crashing when he goes on games now im staring to think mobo or cpu/cooler could be bad

Gamashinoch September 6, 2007 08:14 AM

ya, look in there at the heastsink. Guaranteed it's just clogged right up with dust. Prolly wouldn't hurt to remove it clean, wipe off the processor/heatsink and re apply some thermal grease.

kcksteve September 6, 2007 12:40 PM

i already cleaned it and put OCZ silver paste on it a week ago, the clips seem to be a bit unsecure so im gona drill out the clips and puts ome nuts and bolts on it to tighten it all the way (stupid kingwin)

Eldonko September 6, 2007 03:52 PM

You need a multimeter to get a real voltage reading, never trust sensors esp when it is off by so much.

What temp was 127C? Sounds like something is not mounted properly.

kcksteve September 7, 2007 10:30 AM

-127*c yah im gona make my makeshift mount 2dai