Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Slow Windows 7 bootup.

Hey guys,

To get right to the point, I've been having extremely slow boots after one of my overclocking attempts failed. I received a BSOD 124 (usually means to try raising VTT for stability). Upon rebooting, I noticed that it took a very long time for the login screen to appear after the shiny Windows logo with the scrolling bar. There was a very long intermittent blank screen. There are no problems with POSTing. It seems all Windows related.

What I noticed was that the installation of drivers for my keyboard and mouse were ridiculously slow as well. Upon seeing the login screen, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't be ready for at least another minute. Thinking I borked the startup files, I did a startup repair, which ended up doing a system restore. The problem still persists.

What's going on here? It was fast as lightning until now...is there a recovery console for Windows 7? Should I try repair the bootsector? Let me know your thoughts. I would like to try and avoid a full format.

P.S.: And I also reset my BIOS to default to solve any problems that way too.

Thank guys!
Old October 16, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Hey guys,

To get right to the point, I've been having extremely slow boots after one of my overclocking attempts failed. I received a BSOD 124 (usually means to try raising VTT for stability). Upon rebooting, I noticed that it took a very long time for the login screen to appear after the shiny Windows logo with the scrolling bar. There was a very long intermittent blank screen. There are no problems with POSTing. It seems all Windows related.

What I noticed was that the installation of drivers for my keyboard and mouse were ridiculously slow as well. Upon seeing the login screen, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't be ready for at least another minute. Thinking I borked the startup files, I did a startup repair, which ended up doing a system restore. The problem still persists.

What's going on here? It was fast as lightning until now...is there a recovery console for Windows 7? Should I try repair the bootsector? Let me know your thoughts. I would like to try and avoid a full format.

P.S.: And I also reset my BIOS to default to solve any problems that way too.

Thank guys!
I had same rob. on a pc last week,dunno what caused it.was after a reboot/update tho..i ended up doing a fresh install..that fixed it

win7 is very fast install

Edit: i missed the line in bold when 1st reading ur post

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old October 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do you have any USB external drives plugged in? I always have horribly slow boot times with Vista when I leave my external hard drive plugged into the computer and it was the same problem with 7. I never understood what was wrong until like 2 months ago. Now I just leave it unplugged and everything boots just fine.

It might just be your drivers in general? Could you run the driver install that comes with your motherboard and other devices and see if you can uninstall/reinstall/repair any of them?
Old October 28, 2009, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have also had to go through many installs with windows 7 and I too suggest a fresh install
Old October 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What says Device Manager for your HDD(s)? They are in UDMA mode or PIO?
Old October 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

try using system restore to a date prior to the crash.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow I completely forgot I made this thread haha. Problem is fixed from a simple System Restore. I decided to let the Repair Tool load for a half hour and when I came back my G15/MX518 were finally recognized. I was able to move the mouse to do click on system restore. Worked flawlessly. A CCleaner run here and a registry edit there and it was as if I never did a system restore :).

I know it sounds confusing because I tried doing it earlier. Maybe it just started working again randomly...
Old October 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

drivers