Top Prospect

Default Have i killed my MB?!

Old setup, working great -
XFX780i SLI
E8400 (WCed)
GTX 285 x 2 on air
Vista 64 bit

OK so Friday decided to strip my machine and changed the following -

Changed out the E8400 for a second hand QX9650.
Added WC blocks to 285's
Added WC blocks to 780i both NB and SB plus fins for volt regs
Add new res and rad, and piped it up.

Did a leak test friday night. Saturday mid morning, couldnt wait. Fired it up. ran fine, and loved how quiet it was without the NB fan. Started playing with drivers for the 285's, and on one reboot, it wouldnt boot. No screen, and MB stops at code 5d which seems to be I/O initialization? Waited 30 mins, and it finally booted. Now on first boots, it runs like a charm, second boots, does the 5d problem, no screen. Only way to get it to run again is to switch off the PS and wait 15 mins.

Now for what i think may have happened. While tightening the screws for the CPU block, i slipped with the screw driver on the underside of the MB. Ill strip the computer this week and post pics. I had a good look, and while it went through the protective coating, it didnt look like it messed with the metal connection strips under it. Could I have killed it by messing with the covering? What would people suggest? a very warm Iron and a little solder? maybe a lead pencil trick? Wondering what i should look to to problem solve this! Tonight i was going to take out the QX9650 and see if putting my E8400 in it will solve it? Would anyone recommend a reinstall of windows?????? Thanks

AJ
Win 7 64 bit / Antec 1200 / E8400 EK Supreme LT / Xfx 780i SLI / Mushkin 6Gb EM2-6400 - Corsair 3 Fan Cooler / Corsair HX 1000W / 2xSeagate Sata II - Raid 0 / 1xSeagate Sata II - Storage and backup / 2xEVGA GTX285 1Gb- SLI Ek blocks / 2x240 Swiftech Rad, Full Push-Pull / MCP355 w/ Petra Top / Micro Res / Danger Den Fillport Blue / Matrox Digital TH2G / 3xSamsung 226BW's
Old October 13, 2009, 10:08 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'd look into the traces you gouged first, tough to fix, get a magnifying glass on them.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's a hardware issue, not software. Don't bother with a re-install of windows. Try it with your E8400. If you have the same issue, it's mobo related.

And yes, if you've scarred the PCB traces, it can be repaired by bypassing the strip and soldering a wire in place of it. It sounds like the board is warming up and expanding, causing a disconnection.
Old October 13, 2009, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It's a hardware issue, not software. Don't bother with a re-install of windows. Try it with your E8400. If you have the same issue, it's mobo related.

And yes, if you've scarred the PCB traces, it can be repaired by bypassing the strip and soldering a wire in place of it. It sounds like the board is warming up and expanding, causing a disconnection.
Awesome thanks Sugar J. Sounds like i might be able to repair it afterall. Yeah thats exactly what i thought might be happening. It seemed that if i turned off the PS it would reboot, but if i just waited i had to wait longer?

Im really peeved at myself. Wasnt watching what i was doing and it slipped. Ive been promising pics of the new setup for ages, and when i finally get this running properly ill post them for sure. Thanks guys :D
Win 7 64 bit / Antec 1200 / E8400 EK Supreme LT / Xfx 780i SLI / Mushkin 6Gb EM2-6400 - Corsair 3 Fan Cooler / Corsair HX 1000W / 2xSeagate Sata II - Raid 0 / 1xSeagate Sata II - Storage and backup / 2xEVGA GTX285 1Gb- SLI Ek blocks / 2x240 Swiftech Rad, Full Push-Pull / MCP355 w/ Petra Top / Micro Res / Danger Den Fillport Blue / Matrox Digital TH2G / 3xSamsung 226BW's
Old October 13, 2009, 02:55 PM
MVP
F@H

I dropped a heatsink on a 780i mobo from about 2 feet up. Kaboom! I've also done the "Screwdriver Slip", ruining the board more times than I'd care to mention (4).
Old October 13, 2009, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
I dropped a heatsink on a 780i mobo from about 2 feet up. Kaboom! I've also done the "Screwdriver Slip", ruining the board more times than I'd care to mention (4).
The same board? So have you made connections on areas you messed up? I was thinking of switching to the 790 i have spare for a friends build but i wanted to stay with the 780i water cooled board as there are 0 fans on it and it runs VERY cool. Well wish me luck, im off home soon now and will start stripping it down.

First ill change out the CPU and try it. Second ill tear the whole thing down. I was thinking of rigging it all up on a test bench, as its a pain to plug all the WCing parts in the case just to test the setup. Might rig it up on some antistatic and see if i cant get it to run!
Old October 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

So while looking at pics of other peoples 1200's, it occured to me. When i installed the #2 rad in the top, i disconnected the earth wire coming from the front panel. I remembered i never reconnected it! could THIS be the cause for problems? what is it earthing anyways? The wire goes on the screw that holds the top fan and button panel ontop of the Antec 1200 case. id laugh if its something this silly.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

earthing is ground
Old October 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
earthing is ground
Sorry, yep, should have explained first, im originally from Australia hence the term Earthing lol. So yeah its a grounding wire, but i have no idea what it would be grounding in the top panel? The on/off switches and HDD lights etc on the front panel connect to the MB, so what is the need of this wire? Im going to do the obvious tonight, and connect it to some other area on the chassis and see if it solves anything. I highly doubt it tho. Cheers