Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2009, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Default weird random crashes

When i am playing games, sometimes i get a random crash. The crash is like the game freezes, the sound starts repeating really fast, almost like a buzz. The only thing to do is hit the reset button. Once i hit reset, the post code indicates a video error, (ami bios, 1 long 2 short). But if i power off, then power on the post screen comes up and says "The previous performance of overclocking is failed" (even though i was not overclocking!!!) I then hit space bar to go into bios, save bios and exit, and everthing is fine.

This is generally during games, it started with far cry 2, i thought it may have been an issue with the game, but then it showed up in crysis warhead, the witcher, and most recently arkham asylum among others. In arkham it seems to happen at the end of the combo when it goes into slow motion knocking down the last bad guy. But other than that i havn't found any patterns.

it would also happen whenever i tried to update the same game with the ingame windows live update.

this seems to have appeared after i changed processors, but ... read on

I am fairly confident it is not overheating, all system temps remain stable and system is well cooled.

I have stress tessed the cpu with 4 windows of cpu burn in, for around a day long, with no issues, also stress tested with prime 95 for a long (approx 20 hours ) period with no issues and good heat dissipation, so it makes me wonder if it is the cpu?

I have stress tested the video card with ati tool, video card stress test, furmark ozone3d, and 3dmark 06 with no issues. furmark raised the temp way higher than any game has and nothing wrong.

I updated motherboard bios thinking maybe it was an issue that had to be straightened out with the chipset, but no difference. (before i update i had ami v1.8, and instead of 1 long 2 short, it was 8 short beeps, but both are video card related)

all drivers are up to date..

tested memory for 20 + hours with memtest 86+ and windows memory diagnostic, both reported no errors.

Motherboard brand & model- MSI k9a2 neo-r
CPU model (and is it overclocked?)- amd x4 940 be (at stock)
Video card(s) evga 8800 gt, 512mb
RAM modules brand & model patriot ddr2 800, 2x 2048
Power supply brand & model silverstone st50ef plus 500 watt
sound blaster audigy 2 zs....

Ibut just wondering if anyone had any input or seen anything similar before. But the bios beeps referring to video problems also make me wonder, maybe the board itself can't handle the cpu.

currently i took out the audigy and am going to try the onboard sound to see if it still occurrs.

any other ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old October 4, 2009, 12:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Did you load default values after flashing bios?
Does the freeze up occur at differant points in the game? Ie, sometimes you may load up and it will freeze 5 min in, or does it usually freeze after a certain amount of gameplay.. say after playing for 30 mins.
I see you have stress tested the cpu and video card individually, but did you also stress them together to simulate gaming conditions?
First i would run atitool and see what sort of frames its getting, and at what cpu usage. Then configure prime95 to use up the rest of the available cpu time.

I would recommend stressing with prime95 3 threads of large fft (max power consumption) then turn on atitool, and make sure the spinning cube is running in foreground, or it will stop. Make sure the fps on atitool with prime95 runnign at about the same as it was just running by itself. Also make sure cpu usage is about 100%.
Ensure round off checking is enabled in prime. Alternatively you could try the occt program. If the system has any sort of instability, this should definatly provoke it. Monitor your temps during this. Also check your board for bad caps.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
Rookie

there was no specific time at which any of the games/system crashed, it could be 10 minutes in , or an hour and a half.

I had tested before with cpu burn in (4 instances) while running furmark, but had no results

however

tried it again with prime 95, round of checking enabled, running 4 threads, alongside furmark, and the system crashed about 5 minutes in,

temperatures remained relatively low,
Old October 6, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

i see current correction neo-F

try using the MSI Live update to make sure you are getting correct one

Last edited by KaptCrunch; October 6, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old October 6, 2009, 01:37 PM
Rookie

board is a neo-f not neo 2
Old October 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkaderka
board is a neo-f not neo 2
k9a2 neo-r is posted in your first post

can you tell me whats silk screened on MB?

should see MS-XXXX Ver: X.X between grarphics slot to pci

have you tried the MSI live update ?
Old October 6, 2009, 03:22 PM
Rookie

sorry , that was a typo, it is a neo-f
yeah, everything updated and current
Old October 6, 2009, 03:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
i see current correction neo-F

try using the MSI Live update to make sure you are getting correct one
From past experience I strongly recommend against using Live update, especially if the purpose is to get the "correct" bios for your motherboard.

Maybe MSI has improved things over the years, but I've seen the live update program incorrectly identify a board as an incompatable revision (the 7030 designation seemed to be attached to two different chipset boards).

Check out the MSI forums. There used to be some great bootable bios CDs available for download.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old October 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
Rookie

i checked out the actual board page on the msi site before i did the bios, and it is the correct version
Old October 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ok good, so you got it to crash. Im thinkin some hardware instability.. i would try each stick of ram seperatly, as it is possible for a flaky stick of ram to pass memtest. After doing that, check the manufacturers website for the correct voltage for your model of ram. Manually set the voltage, and retest.
Also what temps are you getting? Even if the readouts are within range, do any of the heatsinks feel too hot to touch?