Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson
From past experience I strongly recommend against using Live update, especially if the purpose is to get the "correct" bios for your motherboard.

Maybe MSI has improved things over the years, but I've seen the live update program incorrectly identify a board as an incompatable revision (the 7030 designation seemed to be attached to two different chipset boards).

Check out the MSI forums. There used to be some great bootable bios CDs available for download.
yes agree 100% early years of live update where nightmares

Dos flash is fool proof provided using correct version of MB for bios model MB
Old October 9, 2009, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Ok, so I think i have made some progress, it doesnt seem to be the cpu.. but it is the video card. I did a few more stress tests and noticed that the card (using furmark) was reaching 100+ degrees C (while cpu stayed in mid 30s). Around 105, boom, computer crash. I didn't think I was reaching this high of temps in games though, so I need to find a way to monitor the gpu temp in games. It is kind of weird that this started with the new cpu though.... but i put in a new cpu fan as well, I added a xigmatech hdt -s1283, so maybe it changed airflow or something? I need to explore this a little further tomorrow. Will also apply some mx -1 paste and reseat the gpu heatsink. and improve case airflow if possible.

This is kind of puzzling still, because from alt-tabbing in and out of games, or looking at evga precision after a session, the highest gpu temps are typicall less than 80 under load in games.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
Rookie

So my cpu cooler was facing down (fan on top blowing into heatsink, towards bottom aka vid card), so I took it out, turned it around so it blows up, away from other components (maybe better flow to exhaust fans as well..) and reapplied some mx-2 paste, took out the 8800 gt, took the cover off the heat sink and gave it a good cleaning (dust bunnies in there) and now my gpu temps are running 20 C lower under load, mid sixties is the highest it reached in gameplay (mid 70 under furmark torture test), cpu is a few degrees cooler as well! So this seems to have solved my problem!

Thanks for all your input!
Old October 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

Great, glad you got it fixed. Alt tabing to check temps, iv found - cant be done, as the temps drop massively in just a few seconds with 0% load. Need something to log temps, everest will do it, or rivatuner.
Old October 11, 2009, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Yeah, that is why I didn't catch on to overheating right away, I was alt-tabbing. I used GPU-Z to log the temps now though, and all is good