Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2009, 05:26 AM
Rookie

Default P5Q Deluxe naffed bios?

I got a P5Q Deluxe from e-bay(untested) it wouldnt boot so after trying all the usual things like using 1 stick of mem 1 vga card etc.
It would start the fans on everything but that was all,no post beeps so i thought i would swap the bios chips over and see if that did anything.
it posted so i set it in my case added all my other parts and booted up
it was an Asus P5QL pro.
Ive tried afudos with all switches even using engineering edition but i cant get the bios to flash to a Deluxe,i get this error " Rom file size does not match existing BIOS size"
i can flash it to a P5Q Pro but not the Deluxe.
the bios size for the P5QL & P5Q Pro is 8Meg,the Deluxe is 16Meg so im thinking the Bios chips have been swapped from another board,would the Bios chip be a different size for these boards?
if they are the same size chip how can i flash them?
Thanks

savvy
Old October 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ok so your saying you got it to post? Then after you mounted it in the case, it wouldnt?
Old October 4, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
I got a P5Q Deluxe from e-bay(untested) it wouldnt boot so after trying all the usual things like using 1 stick of mem 1 vga card etc.
It would start the fans on everything but that was all,no post beeps so i thought i would swap the bios chips over and see if that did anything.
it posted so i set it in my case added all my other parts and booted up
it was an Asus P5QL pro.
Ive tried afudos with all switches even using engineering edition but i cant get the bios to flash to a Deluxe,i get this error " Rom file size does not match existing BIOS size"
i can flash it to a P5Q Pro but not the Deluxe.
the bios size for the P5QL & P5Q Pro is 8Meg,the Deluxe is 16Meg so im thinking the Bios chips have been swapped from another board,would the Bios chip be a different size for these boards?
if they are the same size chip how can i flash them?
Thanks

savvy
Just because a bios chip fits does not mean it'll work.

There are different sized bios chips depending on the bios and board.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:53 AM
Rookie

The P5Q Deluxe has a backup bioschip so thats what i swapped over and it worked,but the chip is either from a P5QL board or has been flashed as one.
Is the chip for the P5QL the same size as the one used in the Deluxe board?
The chip is recognized as a MXIC 25L8005 by EZflash.
Old October 5, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

savvy the MB you got from ebay has corrupted or bad bios chip enaberif is right each MB bio's are unique so you cant flash them out of native MB

would need hot flash using a flasher by booting up DOS working unit then remove bios chip and incert the corrupted chip making sure placing in keyed (spot) to #1 on socket then run flasher with the correct bios needed for dead chip

flash it and pull plug out right after susscess flash then remove flashed chip an replace orginale, place fresh flash chip in doa MB

note best to HOT Flash with same MB/model
Old October 9, 2009, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Ok i hot flashed the first bios (the 1 that wouldnt boot) but i could only flash it to a P5Ql Pro same as the other so im thinking that someone has swapped both chips in the board from 16meg (DELUXE) chips to 8meg (P5QL Pro) chips.
So theres nothing i can do but buy the preflashed ones.
i`ll let you know how it goes once i get them.

savvy
Old October 9, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Savvy make sure use a ESD soldering iron when changing chips or heat up iron then remove power cord an use iron

in the past I've killed a laptop MB soldering cmos battery connection with power on iron , after that i checked with a voltmeter had gotten 17vdc an 32vac measuring tip to earth