Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2009, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Default New/First Build - Won't Post

Help!

This is my first build. I have a Gigabyte x58 UD5 mobo with mushkin memory 998691.

Well I thought I was succesful - got to the Gigabyte logo screen and then it looked like it was going to post (saw that screen for an instant) but then it goes to a PCI Devices Listing screen, at the bottom it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and then "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" Also, the mobo has the dreaded "FF" code on the LCD display.

Any suggestions - I have tried clearing CMOS a bunch of times as well as taking out the mobo battery.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Old October 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Please post all system specs. Try booting with minimal hardware, one stick of ram, cpu, video card. Best to pull mobo out of case to eliminate shorts. Here is a site with some flow charts that may be helpful.Computer Repair with Diagnostic Flowcharts - PC Troubleshooting and Repair For Dell, HP, and other Desktop Computers

Try swapping the ram to different slots & report back.
Old October 2, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rookie

List of parts:

Gigabyte X58-UD5 Motherboard
Mushkin Redline XP3-12800 DDR Memory - 3 x 2gb sticks - model # 998691
Prolimatech megahalems cpu cooler with 2 Noctua NF-P12 fans in push/pull configuration
EVGA GTX 275 video card
WD Caviar Black 1 TB hardrive
Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS 22x SATA DVD burner
Lian-Li A70 case
Dell 2408 Monitor
Corsair HX1000 Power Supply

I hope I haven't left anything out.

I have started to try to boot with only 1 stick of RAM - first try no go - going to try each of the other 2 now.

Last edited by If You Build It; October 2, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding a component
Old October 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 2, 2009, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Things seem to be going from bad to worse. Started stripping down all the "extra" parts to see if it would make a difference. It made difference alright - it still won't post and now it turns itself off after about 20 seconds after failing to post! Arrrgh!

I guess I'll keep trying by stripping the mobo right out of the case with nothing else attached to see if it will post.
Old October 2, 2009, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Had problem with a new MSI 770-C45 a few days ago, after post and before windows starts, I got cmos checksum error and I had two choices, load default and restart or goto bios setup....I tried load default and restart and it ended up with the same error again and if I try goto set up and load default myself, it ended up booting up with M-Flash only option available, ie to flash bios with an USB stick...did that with MSI latest firmware but it ened up the same, the loop goes on and on for about an hour unitl the board finally gave up, ie no boot only cpu fan spinning.

The only thing I did not do is the long reset, decided to send it in for RMA instead. Great faq imo.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Well, I've tried posting with just the video card and keyboard (PS/2) attached to the mobo and alternating between each of the 3 sticks of RAM - still no luck, get the same error message regarding Checksum and then the DOS screen with "Disk Boot Failure ....."

I did notice that the 24 pin ATX connector on the HX1000 at pin number 17, there is no wire attached to it from the power supply. The Gigabyte mobo manual indicates that pin 17 is a Ground. Also, there seems to be a pin in every one of the 24 slots on the mobo.

Anyone know if this is normal on a 24 pin connector or could this be the problem or at least part of it?

Also, there are Onboard LED's on the mobo for certain components including CPU Voltage. The manual says that red is High and it appears that the red is coming on. Could this be a clue - and if so, what to do. I already tried going into the BIOS to look for CPU voltage but wasn't quite sure what I should be looking for.

One thing I do know for sure, the CPU is getting pretty hot - although seemingly not doing a lot - the BIOS said it was at 67 celsius.

Anyone with any other suggestions, I'm willing to give it a try before RMA'ing the board.

Thanks!

Last edited by If You Build It; October 2, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by If You Build It View Post
Help!

This is my first build. I have a Gigabyte x58 UD5 mobo with mushkin memory 998691.

Well I thought I was succesful - got to the Gigabyte logo screen and then it looked like it was going to post (saw that screen for an instant) but then it goes to a PCI Devices Listing screen, at the bottom it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and then "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" Also, the mobo has the dreaded "FF" code on the LCD display.

Any suggestions - I have tried clearing CMOS a bunch of times as well as taking out the mobo battery.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
I thought FF stood for Fully Functional.

Anyway - check Intel's spec sheet and find a voltage for your cpu and check out the operating voltage for your ram. Every time i reset my bios i have to bump put the ram voltage to boot.

I assume you are trying to install windows, so change the boot priority to DVD drive and remove the other boot options.

Good luck
Old October 2, 2009, 05:46 PM
Rookie

A little stroll around the internet and I did find that the new 24 pin ATX standard actually does have one 1 pin empty - it is actually for 5V that seems to be superfluous now. So I don't seem to have worry about the power supply at this point.
Old October 3, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 For the simple check of boot priority. "Checksum and then the DOS screen with "Disk Boot Failure ....." This screams boot device priority issue OR problem optical drive/boot image to me

And I also thought FF stood for 'fully functional'...?