Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2009, 05:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post

You don't know that. It's auto! Sometimes automation screws up. I set my QPI to the lowest it can go (in your board's bios, probably 4800 MT/s, which is what I set it to on by board).
Hey Bojangles,

I just assumed both those multipliers where set to 24 (when my QPI and Uncore frequencies where set to auto in the BIOS), because upon inspection of CPU-Z, it would say the NB Frequency is 3200mhz and the QPI Link was 3200mhz. From what I read online, the QPI Link value shown in CPU-Z is half that of the value that you can adjust in your bios? So by having the QPI Freq set to auto in my bios, it was putting it to 6400 MT/s I assume.

So based on that I just divided those values by my blck of 133 to find out what the multipliers were. Which came out to be 24 for each.

I forgot to check to see whether I could manually choose a higher rating for the QPI freq then 6400 mt/s while I had the Dram freq set at 1600mhz. But I don't think I could have since the max QPI multiplier is 24 (48)? (correct me if im wrong)

Anyways, great news, so far i've been running 2 hrs of Prime95 Blend with no errors.

Any other recommendations for stress tests to run?

Thanks once again for all the help Bojangles.

Kind regards,
- Carl
Old October 1, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH89 View Post
Lastly, if you confront the chart shown in the 2nd guide I posted, you will see that it is not possible to run dram frequencies of 1600mhz or greater on a default blck of 133mhz, since by doing so, you won't be able to get a stable ratio for the QPI:Uncore multipliers. Therefore if you wanted to do that you would have to overclock the blck and adjust the memory/uncore/QPI accordingly to achieve that 9:8 ratio. So basically in order to do so you would have to overclock the blck to at least 160mhz and then adjust the rest of the multiplier values accordingly (as shown in the chart).
BULLSHIT. I run Prime95/Folding@Home with ease at 133 BCLK and 1600 MHz RAM. That 9:8 ratio is crap. 2xDRAM < Uncore < QPI. Simple as that.

Here's what I run at stock (during summer months) on my EVGA X58 Vanilla.

BCLK: 133MHz
DRAM Frequency: 2:12 (800 MHz x 2)
DRAM Voltage: 1.65 V
QPI Link: 4.8 GT/s (GHz, whatever, but it's really GT/s)---> which is the lowest setting (36x)
UCLK: 3200 MHz (24x)

Simple as that. That's all I ever change. Your QPI will always be higher than 9:8 if you set UCLK to double the DRAM Frequency.

Everything else is default. You shouldn't have to change much else.
Old October 1, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH89 View Post
So based on that I just divided those values by my blck of 133 to find out what the multipliers were. Which came out to be 24 for each.

I forgot to check to see whether I could manually choose a higher rating for the QPI freq then 6400 mt/s while I had the Dram freq set at 1600mhz. But I don't think I could have since the max QPI multiplier is 24 (48)? (correct me if im wrong)

Anyways, great news, so far i've been running 2 hrs of Prime95 Blend with no errors.

Any other recommendations for stress tests to run?

Thanks once again for all the help Bojangles.

Kind regards,
- Carl
Excellent news indeed! 6400 MT/s in your bios is actually a predetermined value based on the multiplier (x48). You can't go any higher, even according to that table on that OC page. I set mine to 4800 MT/s, but either way, as long as it works, it works.

And yes I think that CPU-Z does display half the QPI Link. I forgot about that. So if your UCLK is 3200 MHz, you're good to go!

Congrats, hopefully it stays stable!
Old October 1, 2009, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
BULLSHIT. I run Prime95/Folding@Home with ease at 133 BCLK and 1600 MHz RAM. That 9:8 ratio is crap. 2xDRAM < Uncore < QPI. Simple as that.
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps it is probably just a difference in mobos which is why I was unable to run it at those settings stably. Aw well, I should be okay with 1333mhz. Perhaps in the future I may overclock and try bumping up the ram frequency to 1600. I have found overclocking to be a pretty interesting topic so far, so im definately going to be reading up more about it.
Old October 1, 2009, 06:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Excellent news indeed! 6400 MT/s in your bios is actually a predetermined value based on the multiplier (x48). You can't go any higher, even according to that table on that OC page. I set mine to 4800 MT/s, but either way, as long as it works, it works.

And yes I think that CPU-Z does display half the QPI Link. I forgot about that. So if your UCLK is 3200 MHz, you're good to go!

Congrats, hopefully it stays stable!
Thanks!, I have my fingers crossed. Hopefully everything goes well.
Old October 3, 2009, 01:34 AM
Rookie

Stability Test Update:

24 hrs Prime 95 Blend stable.
Super PI pass.
LinX @ 4gb 20 passes with 8 threads stable.

Looks like everythings good to go now. Thanks all for contributing.