Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Unsure the issue after part change

Wanted to rebuild one of my old rig with ram changed (replaced current gskill 4gb 8500 pair with a RMA-ed corsair 4gb 6400 set). Had to remove my cpu fan(ninja scythe) since the corsair ram have some extra fins.

after installation I decided to attempt to power up the machine(without the cpu fan pulled). Normally when I power the machine the whole computer will spin up at max speed emit loud sound for 4-5 seconds and spin down.. then POST)

However now it decided to spin up and stayed that for more then 10 seconds, then the whole computer will power down(lights... cpu fan... case fan... all gone) then after complete stop.... the computer will spin up again doing the same thing.

So far I have removed the new ram, cpu fan pin, power supply(was using an antec tp650 and replaced with a corsair 650).... still the same issue. the mobo did not include a speaker(damm cheap gigabyte) so I can't tell if there is a POST issue.

Got any idea where I should look at?

SPEC:
Q6600
4 GB ram
gigabyte p35-ds3r
8800 gt
2 hdd
1 optical
Antec TP650
Old September 29, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well they come eith a PC speaker but he is in the box you have to plug it like most of the board, if you throw it to garbage it's to late sorry:P Try to replace your CPU and your cooler with new thermal paste Q6600 are realyl hot chip so it's possible he wont start if it detect that there is no CPU fan or just not well seated. Also make sure if there is a back plate for the cooler if she is not shorting anything in the back of the mobo, use electrical black tape to ensure that. Try your memory stick by stick and try re-place the G.skill to see if corsair just not send you another dead kit.

Ask for more.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

the cpu fan was only detached after I switch ram and it didn't boot, in theory the ninja can do passive on the 6600 non-oc
do you mean replacing the paste I have on the cpu hs? it was using AS5 I think...

The new parts I ordered for my friend just arrived! I can snatch the speaker to test...
Old September 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well to change the paste is juste to ensure that everything is correct. If my memory is good there is also a mod in your bios to force shut down when no CPU fan detect to prevent passive cooling. Test the new part and give us some news;)

Ask for more.