Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Default Upgrade gone bad?

Hey guys i recently installed a i7 975 and G.SKill Trident F3-16000 with a Coolit Boreas and a Silverstone Strider 1500w power supply to go with my already owned X58 Classified and 2 Evga gtx 280s and 9800 gt for physx.

I got it all hooked up and what is happening now is whenever im running steam or anything that uses gpu im noticing lag. Like when im dragging the steam window around, the window seams to be stuttering or lagging compared to how a normal windows window would move when being dragged. When i minimize the steam window the system runs noticeably smoother. Games are unplayable now too. Even that Chess titans vista game lags.

Ive tried re-installing vista because i was using 7 and nothing changed. Also tried re-seating all my Gpus, changing power to gpus from psu. Using my old G.skill F3-12800. Ive also tried only using my 9800 gt and moving out the gtx280s. None of this worked so im wondering if maybe i did something to my mobo or could it even be my new cpu? Ive already ran things like prime and super pi and everything seemed normal and stable. Im probably gonna end up taking out my 975 and putting my 920 back in and reconnecting everything else to see if it still does it.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated tho! thanks
Old September 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First of all, if you are OC or have been OC previously, clear CMOS. Second, you can try flashing bios, 975 is a second gen I7 and 920 a first gen I5, if you are not on the last bios it can be the problem. Sometime Mobo just dislike to be moved in and out like that do all update in windows to be sure + driver update. Do a memtest, HDD test ( see the manufacturer site or google for the tool, each brand have a tool. ) Don't forget to put BIOS at default setting before doing it all. Tell us here if nothing work then I carry on with troubleshooting round 2:P

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 27, 2009, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you checked your drivers, or just remove till you have one GPU running?
Old September 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sound like a bios problem.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I get very similar effects occasionally with Steam...Steam really seems to load slow and acts / behaves the exact same way your describing.....this has started with me on Steam over the past few months.
I have no other ill efffects with anything but Steam....provided everything else is fine I wouldn't sweat it and chaulk it up as a "Steam Issue"....simply opening Steam causes my 3 280's to come out of 2D mode and into 3D mode (clock speeds ramp up)....
I think the problems maybe due to all of the "traffic" on Steam as other times its fine.

Old September 27, 2009, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Had a virus that did that to me. Long time ago, AVG never detected it, remember that much.
Old September 27, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Had a virus that did that to me. Long time ago, AVG never detected it, remember that much.
Well, it's not really surprising me that AVG wont detect a virus. If a clean windows install keep doing the same thing, I'm pretty sure it;s not a computer part. This is not the type of issue we ran it when computer is defective. I'm pretty sure as I said in my first post that it's based on BIOS problem and thing like that.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks alot guys! Shes runnin like a champ now! I just needed to update the bios to the latest revision and she was smooth sailing. I wasted a whole day trying to fix the bloody thing and all i needed was an update! lol beuty! thanks again!