Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2009, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Unhappy HELP! Computer randomly freezes and restarts!!

Okay so, My computer, without warning, starts to either freeze up completely or restarts without warning. There seems to be no pattern. its just all random.
this started happening yesterday, so i thought re-installing the OS (Windows XP) would help. and sadly that didnt work.
This morning, I tried to use the computer, just to see if it would magically fix it self over night (ya right....) i couldnt even get to the desktop
it would Blue screen on me D:
all 3 times i tried it, it blue screened twice, the other time, after XP was loaded. it just went blank. nothing.
i tried booting it in safe mood, that didnt work either =/

I just got my computer in the last month
I built it myself.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel Core i7 920
Patriot Viper Series (1600mhz, Cas 8, 3X 2GB)
PNY GTX 275
Corsair (the non modular one...) 750W
2 WD black Series 640GB (though im only using one at the moment, the other is unplugged and sitting there)

I have overclocked the system in the past month up to 3.61GHz i believe it was 190X19

I never overclocked or touched any settings of the graphics card. the only thing that i did do is update the driver..... so taht shouldnt be a problem.

I have set the overclocks back to defualt. but still causes problems

The Ram was UNDERclocked due to the multipliers and i didnt want to risk going over by too much. so it was sitting at around 15xxMhz.

I run triple channle, but right now i took out 2 sticks to see if its a RAM problem
It still freezes/ restarts and i have yet to test out the other 2 sticks.

Any ideas guys?? please help!! ><
ty in advanced.

*scared*
Old September 27, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try running the pc at stock speed if he is not already. Also pass memtest on a USB floppy ( the in windows on never read the memory used by software ). Other possibilities are a dead mobo or a bad PSU ( pretty rare with these one ). Keep the mobo for the end it`s the longer to test. Try stock speed, try memtest, try swapping the PSU with a friend one. If nothing do, try Furemark and ATItools and scan for artifact.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
Rookie

I now have tried all 3 sticks of RAM individually and to no avail.
the mem test i shall save for later

Then i tried using my older computer's Hard drive and boot up with it. and everything seemed fine... oO

and i had forgotten to write that i changed everything to default settings
but oddly enough, i still get the message saying like "Bad Overclock, press F1 to go to setup and F2 to load default settings"
and i just pressed F2.

anyways...
i got impatient, so i reformated my computer again (its in the process of.)
cause i realised that friday night i installed a web cam driver, and saturday morning it went crazy o.o

well.....
do you think its possible that a webcam driver can cripple an entire system to the point where that loading windows becomes an impossible task...?

just wondering.. if it was a dead mobo, or a bad psu.. wouldnt the entire system not get past POST at all.? ^o)

and thanks =)
Old September 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bad PSU would cause your sypmtoms indeed....by trying a different PSU (relatively easy troubleshoot) will either confirm or exclude that...making further troubleshooting easier.
As Martin sadi, trying various components prior to RMA of the Mobo is the best bet.

1. Set everything to "stock" and monitor (try clearing CMOS as well)
2. Test all RAM sticks with Memtest
3. Try different PSU
4. If you think it maybe GPU related, try another GPU

Old September 27, 2009, 11:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't forget to manually set the proper voltage for your memory in bios.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a spare PSU to test/rule that out?
Old September 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

Again, here I go with the stupid captain-obvious replies but this sounds a LOT like your power cable to your PSU or the plug for the PSU is loose. Try ensuring tightness and proper connection - I've solved TONS of "suddenly restarting" stock PC's out in the field that had poorly connected power cables. Trace it back to the mobo power connections and see if anything is loose. Sometimes those connectors have a tendency to seem firm when you first install it but it didn't bite properly so it tends to slide on and off thus turning your PC on and off.

Also, if this PC is connected to a UPS, check your UPS or take it out of the equation completely.

Frost
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old September 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, there is 1 more thing I forget to tell you about. Try to boot windows and go on your disk manufacturer web site or on google there is ( for each brand ) a tools to test the HDD, the ITACHI one can test every disk and sometime repair error on them. You can try to clear Cmos at leat, wont really help but, why not?

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Look to this post It is win.

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide

He gives step by step how to save your comp.

Look fore a short in your system lose wire.

update drivers fore the camera. ?
Old September 27, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default USE PS2 keyboard

Pull all USB devices try restart with ps2 Keyboard and Monitor only could be USB issue.