Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Thank you very much, Grover, for suggesting I jump-start my PSU. I connected my fan to it and jump-started it using the proper method (green -> black on ATX connector), and sure enough, the fan did nothing. Now I know I need to replace my PSU.

NCIX has a ridiculous sale for 2 gig RAM sticks today anyways, so I'll come back in a few hours and let you know if the new PSU I'm going to buy works.
Old September 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Okay, so I just came home from NCIX and installed a new PSU, but my computer still isn't booting. What the hell is going on? Is it possible that I shorted the new motherboard I bought by testing it with my "dead" PSU? I'm so confused. I'll try rearranging my case cables, but this is starting to get very frustrating...
Old September 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I can understand that it's pretty boring. Yes it's possible that the dead PSU have short the new board but...pretty rare. Sorry to say but now the only option I see is to test the PSU with fan and useless HDD or, to get back where you get the board with the PSU and ask them to plug and test it. They are suppose to have a tester so it will take about 2 min. Then when PSU tested ok or not change the board. They have a 15 day warranty I think. There is also the possibilities of assembling the computer out of the case ( don't try the next tip except in last option ) to short the 2 power pin on the board with a screwdriver. I repeat not to try it if you don't feel ok with it because this can really kill a board if it's done bad. If the board start this way well..your case power button is burned. If nothing happen it's the board or the PSU again. I think the best way is to return at the store and change the board ( still suppose to be on store warranty ). Well, now you see that isn't easy to be a tech;) carry on there is not a million option and you will finish to put your finger on;)

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Try jump starting it again.

Old September 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Alright, so I jump-started the new PSU I bought (OCZ ModXStream 700W) with one of my 120MM fans, and sure enough, it worked. However, out of curiousity, I tried jump-starting my old PSU (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W) with the same test and it worked this time! Maybe I didn't insert the paper clip properly the first time, I don't know.

Anyways, I realized that I have the same problem now with my new motherboard -- it's powering my USB accessories while the PSU is plugged into it, but the computer is turned off. I'm more than willing to go to NCIX to exchange it, but this is starting to get frustrating. Any precautions I should take after I exchange the motherboard to ensure this doesn't happen a third time?
Old September 28, 2009, 04:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Be careful with screw and by placing it into the case. Try to push where is nothing on the mobo, not on capacitor or heat sink. That should do the job. If you have a back plated heat sink be sure there is no contact between board and metal, if yes black eletrical tape will do the job.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 28, 2009, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Speaking of back-plated heatsinks, I have the LGA775 retention thingamajig that goes underneath the motherboard. Is that what you're talkin about?
Old September 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Okay, so I went to the techie at NCIX with my motherboard and claimed it was faulty. He set up a platform to diagnose it, and within 5 minutes, had it running perfectly fine. I've just tested my CPU, video card, hard drives and memory after coming home and setting it up and jump-starting the system with a screwdriver, and they all work. Only problem now is whether or not my case cables work. Also need to go exchange the motherboard because it doesn't support my RAID array (d'oh, overlooked that when I bought it last week!).

Anyways, thanks a lot for all your help, guys. It doesn't look like I'll be needing anymore help on this, but if I do anyways, I'll let you know.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good luck;)

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88

Old September 28, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would set-up and test the whole issue outside of the Case first!....sounds like your making progress..good luck.