Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default BIOS Flash (EDIT: Is it my RAM?)

My BIOS version (ASUS Rampage Exreme x48) is still on the first version they came out with. I have been having some BSOD errors, quite a few actually, and ASUS said, after telling them my hardware, to update my BIOS. They didnt tell me which one to do, so my question to you guys is...

Will upgrading to the lateset BIOS include everything inbetween? I mean, will BIOS update 1202 include, 1201, 901, etc etc?

EDIT: So I flashed it to 1202. BSOD here, there, evreywhere. (memory_management, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc etc). I than did the thing I didnt yet do... Pull out the memory.

I did looked in the manual and found which stick to pull and... not a single BSOD! However, when I opened the little "retention clips" on the stick, it kind of just fell into my hand. Maybe it wasnt in all the way and that was causing errors? But my BIOS recognized it.

What would be the best way to test it out?

Last edited by AmuseMe; September 17, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It should.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
My BIOS version (ASUS Rampage Exreme x48) is still on the first version they came out with. I have been having some BSOD errors, quite a few actually, and ASUS said, after telling them my hardware, to update my BIOS. They didnt tell me which one to do, so my question to you guys is...

Will upgrading to the lateset BIOS include everything inbetween? I mean, will BIOS update 1202 include, 1201, 901, etc etc?
Normally yes. Bios updates are (99%) always forward, and build off the old code. The only exception to this is when they find a bug with the code implemented in the previous build, and change it.

Get the latest BIOS thats stable (ie: If it was released today/last week, dont use that one)
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 17, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

use the ASUS Navigation Wizard to make sure you have correct bios and drivers for your MB ( note see 775 and 1366 versions of Rampage Extreme)

YES current and correct bios update covers all back versions for your MB

don't use the Beta verson for is not global tested an cert released
Old September 17, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the BSOD could be that 9550 E0, best if you flash that bad boy. listen to the others, they know what there doing

Good luck
Old September 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

(Just updated original post)
Old September 17, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

EDIT: So I flashed it to 1202. BSOD here, there, evreywhere. (memory_management, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc etc). I than did the thing I didnt yet do... Pull out the memory.

I did looked in the manual and found which stick to pull and... not a single BSOD! However, when I opened the little "retention clips" on the stick, it kind of just fell into my hand. Maybe it wasnt in all the way and that was causing errors? But my BIOS recognized it.

What would be the best way to test it out?
that BSOD of IRQL_NOT_LESS is 90% of the time memory problems.
Old September 18, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
that BSOD of IRQL_NOT_LESS is 90% of the time memory problems.
Should I put that stick back in a run a RAM test? If so which one? Also, can I RMA the one stick, or will Mushkin want both?
Old September 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Should I put that stick back in a run a RAM test? If so which one? Also, can I RMA the one stick, or will Mushkin want both?
Absolutely test your memory and that would be up to mushkin but generally they do want both.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

So, what mem. diagnostic should I use? Memtest?