Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2009, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

Default I7 rig problem

i have been running my i7 920 @ 4.0 for around
3 ~ 4 months alrdy
i use TRUE push and pull setting idle around 40 ~ 43 and loaded at 73 ~ 75 across all 4 cores
one day my computer just shut off by it self, and when i restart it showed overclocking failed at starting bios, i was able to reset the bios setting to run it at 2.67ghz and able to boot to windows

when i ll try to re oc my rig, i see the temp across 4 cores showing 50 degree at idle
i tried to remount my TRUE but it is not helping, temp is still around 50s

anyone know any possible reason that might have caused this ?
Old September 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Overclocking can damage hardware, so maybe it was just running on the edge of being stable for long enough that something happened that made it cause more heat? Not sure what could have happened, but it's probably either damaged or something else, the program you're using to read the temps could be reading them wrong too.
Old September 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

50 on every single core? Does it ever fluctuate? Thinking along the lines of a damaged sensor if all cores are the same and never move.
Could it be that the ambient temperature in the room has gone up in the past few days since your OC failed? The change of just a few degrees in ambient could definitely result in larger spikes in your computer's temps.

To be honest - I have always adopted the idea that 60C is about the max under load that you want to run an Intel CPU for, primarily as that is generally when you begin to notice a performance hit. However I have not had enough experience with i7 to know if the same rings true.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
50 on every single core? Does it ever fluctuate? Thinking along the lines of a damaged sensor if all cores are the same and never move.
Could it be that the ambient temperature in the room has gone up in the past few days since your OC failed? The change of just a few degrees in ambient could definitely result in larger spikes in your computer's temps.

To be honest - I have always adopted the idea that 60C is about the max under load that you want to run an Intel CPU for, primarily as that is generally when you begin to notice a performance hit. However I have not had enough experience with i7 to know if the same rings true.
I think an i7 is good for an extra 10C compared to a Core 2. Could be wrong.

Yeah maybe your sensors are stuck?
Old September 16, 2009, 10:18 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
well all 4 cores are up and down around 50s @_@
it used to be 40 to 43, i hope i didn't dmage any hardware or i am going crying
having to shed more blood to buy new one to fix it

atm i am just running it on stock and getting 36 up and down across all 4 cores
may try to slowly oc again try to figure out where went wrong @_@
Old September 17, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

maybe you damaged the motherboard and the power that the cpu is getting now is a little off ( just a complete guess so take it with a grain of salt ) good luck
Old September 17, 2009, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
maybe you damaged the motherboard and the power that the cpu is getting now is a little off ( just a complete guess so take it with a grain of salt ) good luck
lol i hope that is not the case @_@ or iam going have to replace a stuff that cost hte most =(
Old September 17, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's probably a stock sensor it seems to happen again and again with I7 920 unfortunately there is no way I know to unstock them. The best to do is to find a friend and try is CPU and board on your machine but it's quite long. You can ask in your region there is many HWCer witch would probably help you.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||