Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default PC slow down ?

Hi,

My father has been complaining that his computer is running slow. That it takes a while to open programs and all. Now that is pretty common, but earlier this summer, I added 512mb of RAM to his computer and he was saying it was all amazingly fast. Then, he purchased a 24in LCD monitor and now its slow again (or so he says).

is it possible that bumping the monitor from 17in to 24in put more stress on the integrated GPU and made this run slower ?

He is using Firefox, Word, Excel and that sums it all pretty well. I would assume those programs to be very lightweight, but I am still puzzled.

His computer is a Compaq
Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
1gb RAM
160gb HDD (less than 50% of it is used)
The integrated GPU is (not sure which numbers matter) a 910GL
its running Win Xp service pack 3

Now, what I noticed is that when FF is opened and nothing is loading, the CPU gets to 100% load when it loads a new page. I can hear the CPU fan going at 100% speed when watching a video like the product review for the Corsair Obsidian 800D. And the mouse works like , that is some investigation I need to do on my part, but I feel it freezes sometimes.

Any idea of what could be causing the problem ?
I slowly implanted the idea of nice and cheap dual core, but it would be nice if this computer lasted a little longer.
Old September 10, 2009, 04:57 PM
MVP

Going from 17in to 24in would force you to bump up your resolution so that could explain the difference in performance.

Also, your CPU is under 100% load when watching videos because your integrated GPU isn't doing much. You'd be better off getting a cheap gfx card than upgrading to a cheap dual core.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old September 10, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

+1 Bucklaz
Old September 10, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok first things first the one Huge thing about windows xp 32bit is that for it to run great you pretty much have to reinstall it every three months I kid you not if you don't it will slow down know matter what you do. what I did to cure this problem was get a second hard drive install window xp on it and all of my other things ( programs documents and things like that ) and run most ly portables that way when you do your clean install everything that you have stays intact on the second hard drive and it doesn't slow down. back when I still was using a p4 3ghz I tried vista and never ever again then I installed a slimmed don version of server 2003 which was the ultimate fast never slowed down but some program were a real problem to install on it. so I suggest getting a second hard drive and back up everything ( drivers all files programs ) and do a fresh install.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklaz View Post
Going from 17in to 24in would force you to bump up your resolution so that could explain the difference in performance.

Also, your CPU is under 100% load when watching videos because your integrated GPU isn't doing much. You'd be better off getting a cheap gfx card than upgrading to a cheap dual core.
The 100% load was not when watching videos, well yes it was too, but the one I was talking about was just when loading a page such as HWC's main page.

Sorry I forgot to mention the resolution. I believe the 17in was running at 1024 x 768 (if that makes any sense) and the 24in at 1920 x 1200.

There wasn't a reinstall in the past 3 months, but its been less than a year since I reinstalled. Don't really want to go through the trouble again, specially if its just for 3 months.

I would like to get a cheap gfx, but no PCIe, no AGP slot and el cheapo PSU. If I remember right, its an Hiper (or Hipro) 300w with 18A on the 12V.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Have you tried scanning for Spyware and/or Viruses? Usually a cleanup will help your PC a lot. I use CCleaner, a neat little program that will also clean up your registry etc. Give it a shot.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

defrag?

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

only way to speed that sucker up is to toss it out a window.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
only way to speed that sucker up is to toss it out a window.
Yup sounds about right.

Really, no point in putting any money into a P4 system. It'll be slow no matter what. Tell him to go to Future Shop or Best Buy and pickup some $399 system, since it will be far faster.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I already used CCleaner, JKdefrag. Haven't heard that it was slow tonight... neither have I heard that it was fast.

Probably won't recommend that he goes to FS, instead I would probably build a cheap right for him. That way I can have a bit of fun too :D