Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 05:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Asus P5Q Pro RAID Problem

Hey all,

I have a problem with the ASUS P5Q Pro and enabling the onboard RAID.
I have three WD Black 1TB drives that i'm looking to RAID 5, however, I set the 'Storage Configuration' to 'Raid' (under "Configure SATA as"..) and when I boot into Vista (Vista Home Premium 64 bit) it blue screens and reboots on me.
I set it back to SATA mode and it boots fine.

I have installed the motherboard drivers, however unable to install the RAID drivers.. i'm guessing thats what i'm doing wrong? - I tried installing from Control Panel > Add Hardware, but when selecting "have disk" and selecting the *.inf file.. it doesn't see a driver. I downloaded the latest RAID driver from asus.com website.

Anyone got any ideas? (other than re-installing vista with the RAID pre setup, that crossed my mind already)

TIA
Old September 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

After you set to RAID in bios you should be able to get to the RAID menu with CTRL-I or something similar during boot up. Then install Vista, then install the Intel Matrix Software.

Try this link for some ideas:

Excellent ICH10 RAID setep guide for SSD's
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old September 2, 2009, 06:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, thats the problem - I don't want to reinstall Vista right now, I dual boot ubuntu and don't want to get into rewriting MBR a few times (etc)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 2, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

and just to clarify - I am able to setup the Raid5 by hitting Cntrl+I when I boot up, but once again.. it just blue screens when it tries to load vista.

Im going to be looking further tonight - to see if I can get the error code from the blue screen, to see how to make it stop (so I can read it) rather than rebooting automatically.

Quote:
Old September 2, 2009, 08:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

Can you actually use RAID after OS install? I don't think so.

Old September 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

you're right zappa.. after searching the forums on asus' site (once again) I stumbled upon this thread:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

This is information I didn't know.. I would have thought you could install a RAID after an OS.. it's kind of retarded that you're not able to - what happens when you want to expand your volume or system after you install with a RAID? heh..

Quote:
Old September 2, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
This is information I didn't know.. I would have thought you could install a RAID after an OS.. it's kind of retarded that you're not able to - what happens when you want to expand your volume or system after you install with a RAID? heh..
Depends on the RAID you're using.

The ICH10R chipset from Intel has "online RAID migration" and "online RAID expansion" meaning you can start off with a RAID 0, then move it into a RAID 5 after adding another drive, then add yet another drive and expand your storage.

Some won't let you. You have to know what you're getting into

Tags
vista 64 raid asus p5q