Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2009, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Default Changing laungages in Windows

So yesterday I pulled a bonehead move when I bought my new netbook. The acer aspire one was on sale at Future Shop for 275, Ive been wanting one for a long time so when I seen it at that price I splurged and bought it. This is the model: Anitec.ca - Acer Aspire One D250-1302XH Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz 10.1" Windows XP Home Netbook (Blue) (LU.S680B.070)

But I was in the line up for the ferry and it was formatting itself, and I must have accidently choose Canada (French) instead of Canada (English) when choosing a language so now almost all of windows is in french. (Sloppy noob move FTL). I tried to change the language settings via Control Panel > Regional and Language Options and switched every option I could over to Anglais (Etats-Unis) (which should be united states english if im not mistaken), but to no avail. My little brother is a network tech for the school district of surrey and is coming over on friday to reimage it for me, but I was just wondering if anyone has run into this before and knows how to switch the main laungage to english so I can use it for the week. Im going to reimage it regardless, but would be nice to try it out some for the next few days.

PS- Its a nice deal for the little netbook, and thanks in advance for reading my about my little blunder
16GB Mushkin 1333 DDR3
EVGA 2GB GTX 560
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
120 GB Corsair SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Green
WD Raptor 10k 150g
Old August 31, 2009, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you set it the wrong language at install you have to re-image in order to get it to the proper language. Why microsoft did this who knows, but that language options after its installed is only to set the keyboard language and a few minor things will still leaving most of windows in the language of install.
Old August 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Arinoth, I kinda figured that was the boat Im in. Guess Ill be brushin up on my french for the rest of the week. Thanks again
16GB Mushkin 1333 DDR3
EVGA 2GB GTX 560
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
120 GB Corsair SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Green
WD Raptor 10k 150g
Old August 31, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

other option is MS disk replacement program

or save this english file to usb stick or burn disk
Old August 31, 2009, 10:49 PM
MVP

There is a way to change the languge in an up & running Windows XP based system without going the reinstall route. I have done this just recently & it involves 2 or 3 steps depending on if you already have service pack 3 installed.

1) Change the registry settings as indicated in the link to a forum discussion on the subject I've posted below. (U.S. English is 0409, 1009 is Canadian English)
2) Uninstall SP3 if you already have it installed (If so it would have been installed with French as the default language & attempting to install any SP with a language other than French would fail without the earlier indicated registry changes)
2) Reboot & Reinstall SP3 English ( The registry changes you made first will allow the installation of SP3 English on what was originally a French language system.)

Like I said I followed these steps recently with great results.

These instructions are for XP only.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old September 1, 2009, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the further replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
1) Change the registry settings as indicated in the link to a forum discussion on the subject I've posted below. (U.S. English is 0409, 1009 is Canadian English)
Kingnubian - although I understand steps 2 + 3 Im not sure what link your refering to here, sorry if I overlooked it I searched your recent topics and didnt see anything.
16GB Mushkin 1333 DDR3
EVGA 2GB GTX 560
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
120 GB Corsair SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Green
WD Raptor 10k 150g
Old September 1, 2009, 08:47 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelzubub View Post
Thanks for the further replies everyone!

Kingnubian - although I understand steps 2 + 3 Im not sure what link your refering to here, sorry if I overlooked it I searched your recent topics and didnt see anything.

My bad! Here is the link.

How To Change Windows Xp Language ? - Open Discussion

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Old September 1, 2009, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Sweetness, thanks Kingnubian Im in the process as we speak. Downloading SP3 now, will let yall know how it went when I get home a little later tonight.
16GB Mushkin 1333 DDR3
EVGA 2GB GTX 560
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
120 GB Corsair SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Green
WD Raptor 10k 150g
Old September 4, 2009, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Sorry it took so long to follow up, been very busy the last couple evenings. Unfortunetly King's method didnt work out in my case, I wasnt able to uninstall sp3 because it wasnt on my uninstall programs list. I tried installing sp1, sp2 and a fresh sp3 but kept getting the "Cannot install because the service pack language does not match the install language" message. I also learned that the Acer Aspire One's have a hidden drive that holds the image of windows on it, and by holding alt + F10 during the post you can re-image your netbook at anytime. However it doesnt bring you back to the stage at which you set your install language. So I contacted Acer and they told me I had to to do a system recovery using an external cd rom drive. Soooo, the long and short of it is... have to do a full reformat tonight when my little brother gets here.

Thanks for the the advice regardless Kingnubian, Kapt and Arinoth its muchly appreciated.
16GB Mushkin 1333 DDR3
EVGA 2GB GTX 560
OCZ GameXtreme 700w
120 GB Corsair SSD
2 TB WD Caviar Green
WD Raptor 10k 150g
Old September 4, 2009, 08:30 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelzubub View Post
Sorry it took so long to follow up, been very busy the last couple evenings. Unfortunetly King's method didnt work out in my case, I wasnt able to uninstall sp3 because it wasnt on my uninstall programs list. I tried installing sp1, sp2 and a fresh sp3 but kept getting the "Cannot install because the service pack language does not match the install language" message. I also learned that the Acer Aspire One's have a hidden drive that holds the image of windows on it, and by holding alt + F10 during the post you can re-image your netbook at anytime. However it doesnt bring you back to the stage at which you set your install language. So I contacted Acer and they told me I had to to do a system recovery using an external cd rom drive. Soooo, the long and short of it is... have to do a full reformat tonight when my little brother gets here.

Thanks for the the advice regardless Kingnubian, Kapt and Arinoth its muchly appreciated.

You are getting that Language Doesn't Match error because you may not have made the necessary changes to the registry prior to doing the other steps.

The changes required in the registry "force" windows to think it's an English version and is necessary for the whole change to occur. This has to be done first.

As for SP3 not appearing in the uninstall listing I believe you have to indicate that you wish to view all installed updates in the software uninstall list. It may not appear by default.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case