Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2009, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default MSI X58m Post problems

Ok, I figured I'd bring this to the brains on this site. I am building myself a budget i7 machine using the cheapest board out there, the MSI x58m. All the reviews are glowing for it but I'm beginning to wonder. This is my story.

Got the CPU second hand through Digikid here on the forums. (Thanks for the great deal!) Got the 9600gt as a replacement RMA from XFX for an old AGP card that crapped out. and I'm using the aformentioned MSI x58m as my motherboard with the cheapest 3 gig g.skill triple channel set I could find.

My problem is this. I have the system built and running right now but it is having intermitant post problems. It started up perfect the first time, so I put everything in my case and got it all wired. Went to fire it up to install my OS and it froze just after the USB connection test. It showed my 3 gigs of ram but wouldn't go past that point.I couldn't even get to the BIOS setup. So now I'm mad. Pull everything out of the case looking for any standoffs that might be making contact. Nothing. Now it is hanging at the same point while sitting on the antistatic bag. So now I'm mad. Tried RAM one stick at a time. Tried moving the video card. Tried clearing CMOS. Nothing. I decide to remove all the power leads to the board and hook them back. All of a sudden it boots past POST again! I hit delete and into the BIOS I go. Everything is working it seems. I shut off the computer and boot it back up. It goes back to post again! I figure third times the charm and I reboot and bam, the keyboard stops working. Another reboot and it fails at the ram check again. Unplug both the power leads again (8 pin CPU and 24 pin ATX) and try again, it boots up but the keyboard still doesn't work. I unplug it and plug it back in. Everything is working again and this is where I sit.

So my question to you oh wise and wonderful forum dwellers. Am I crazy? Should I just RMA the board now because it's broken? Or is it all user error and I'm just useless at building my own computer? My PSU is only 1 year old but it's a bit on the weak side(Enermax modu82+ 350 watt) but I only have the one GPU and all the PSU calculators said I'd be fine.

Whaddya think??
Old August 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

My first thought? Issues with the board itself.

What ever you do, DO NOT try to flash the BIOS. Since booting into the BIOS itself seems to be touch and go, you have a good chance of bricking your board if you try to flash and something goes awry.
Old August 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Either that, or some default setting in the BIOS isn't high enough to support the system at stock. What kind of settings does the memory have? Maybe a weird XMP profile is mucking things up?
Old August 29, 2009, 06:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

If there is a "load optimized defaults" option in the BIOS, I would use that.
Old August 29, 2009, 07:03 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If there is a "load optimized defaults" option in the BIOS, I would use that.
Start with that, then double-check the ram voltage (1.54V). Then start memtest86+, one stick at a time.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The ram is g.skill ddr3-1333-9-9-9-24 and the bios sees it as such. I can't see anywhere in my hardware monitor bios page for ram voltages. I have the bios running optimized profile now.

I'm leaning more towards a funky power issue. I have everything working together now and powering up and recognized but when I plugged in my two hard drives it had a hiccup. I had to futz with it a couple times and then I got a crazy double beep then 6 more beeps, the board reset and then booted fine and everything is showing up in my bios!

So confusing.

Last edited by BobLoblaw; August 29, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Missed a step
Old August 29, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Like said above always eliminate memory first.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IMO cpu isn't really a possible option. people who sales stuff on the forum are taking really good care ( more of them kids sometime:P JK ). If the computer don't beep 3 time after post the ram might not be the problem ( not excluding it ). IMO again, after several horrible horrible experience with MSI board especially X48 and X58 series, I think the board is simply DOA.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 30, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1 step at a time start with what 3.0charlie said and go from there. ( kinda sounds power related. pluging the hd caused problem and I see your only running a 350 enermax my cpu hits 155 watts all day long @load add a good gpu and bang your cloase to your limit. jmo)
Old August 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the ideas guys. All 3 sticks of ram passed memtest 86+. The system is now booting fine every time with a new install of WinXP. What should I do now? are there any windows stress tests that might show weaknesses?