Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I just got a call. One of the computers wont boot at all now, even with just one monitor plugged in. I'm going to go pull them out, test them on another workstation.

I've had more grief with ATI cards in my 15 years. I should have learned to stay away from them.
Everyone has their quirks. I'm not an nVidia fanboi by any means. However, after 3 generations of ATI cards giving me issues. I have now had 4 generations of nV without a single problem. The real problem is the fact that there is only two companies to chose from, much like AMD/Intel. If there was a third company, I wouldnt be opposed to trying them, alas, there is not.

Rage Pro--My first self-build ever, I purchased this not knowing any better. What a piece of junk. One of the first Dual GPU cards ever, with an early SLI feature that was never supported...AND it died a week after warranty...

9600 -- Died, warranty was denied for some bullsh!t reason.

9800xt -- I only got this card because it was free literally a week after the 9600 died. I was already looking at upgrading. I won it. Died 4 months later. I didnt have a receipt obviously, and ATI Canada wouldnt help me out, even tho it was THEIR contest. That was the final straw. Off to Green!

6800GT - Sold it to my father-in-law after a year. He still uses it for AutoCAD to this day
7800GT - stepped up to the 88
8800GT 512 - Gave it to my father so he could play EVE Online. Still in use. Card must be nearly 3? years old now.
275gtx - In use currently.

So...I totally feel your pain at ATi
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I sold a geforce 3 to a guy that's still using it to this day.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i guess it boils down to mobo vs vid card as being the root cause... you do have a different vid card to swap with?

This is why i am dead set against doing my own "system building" for my clients. There is always some funky strange errata that comes out of no-where saying "these two devices refuse to play nicely together". Believe it or not... this is what company's like Dell and HP call _research and development_ when they spec out their lineups. Not that i use dell as my PC supplier either... but i am more comfortable reselling IBM and other Tier 1 company's servers than custom builds. Wow... sorry for the ramble... but yeah.. i would try a different vid card.

and why foxconn anyway?
Old August 27, 2009, 09:08 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've had more trouble with Dell and IBM servers than I've ever had with my own builds. And they load some crap software too. and all their shit is proprietary.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

And I make dick all off ordering their so-called tier one crap.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

what crap? you load the OS when it arrives on site. We are talking servers right?
Old August 28, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes but it sounds like maintenance on a pre-built server( in that post anyways). I too service some of these and they suck
Old August 28, 2009, 06:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
what crap? you load the OS when it arrives on site. We are talking servers right?
Any ibm or dell I've ever bought comes with server 23 oem, preinstalled. Try telling the client he needs to drop another $18OO on software because you don't like what it came with.