Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdKid View Post
Dont know if the OP has solved their problem, but this also happened to me just this weekend. Dual booting with Xp32 and vista 64. While installing vista 64 it kept dumping me the BSOD, did everything from reformatting the partition, deleting the partition and reformat it slowly, but still no go. I then remembered that im installing vista 64 so i searched for any new release fimware for my dvd drive for vista, and bingo, Vista 64 installed successfully and completely. Hope that helps.
XP installations on a dual boot can be a little tricky if you are trying to dual boot with Vista already installed.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Seagate firmware bug that applied to the 500GB 7200.11 bricked the drive, if that happened, it wouldn't show in the bios.
Supposedly all those drives from after early December '08 have the new firmware. If it's older, you can get the upgrade from Seagate.
Was there an existing OS on the drive? Windows format doesn't do much of a job, aside from hosing the file system.
As long as it's blank, and you're not trying to install to a partition, try killdisk on it. Factory fresh can help with a pesky install.
Old August 30, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Usually it's a bad memory stick or a motherboard issue (some settings in the bios might not please windows - like memory shadow or you set too low latency for memory or too high voltage, etc). I suggest to reset the bios, then try again.
Then try your memory sticks 1 by 1. If still fails try a different hard drive.
Old September 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

UPDATE: I just got two new OCZ Vertex's, and a WD Black 640GB. They are all hooked up, and BIOS sees them all. The BIOS also states my CPU at (3.8GHz) at 38C. Now, I have yet to install ANYHTHNG on these SSDs, and this HDD. Where do I start? Vista, or my Motherboard DVD?
Old September 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So, how's it comming along? Any luck?
Old September 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdKid View Post
Dont know if the OP has solved their problem, but this also happened to me just this weekend. Dual booting with Xp32 and vista 64. While installing vista 64 it kept dumping me the BSOD, did everything from reformatting the partition, deleting the partition and reformat it slowly, but still no go. I then remembered that im installing vista 64 so i searched for any new release fimware for my dvd drive for vista, and bingo, Vista 64 installed successfully and completely. Hope that helps.
Actually the real fix for this is that if you are running 4gb or more of memory pre SP1 of Vista you could have the 4gb problem.
Old September 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Actually the real fix for this is that if you are running 4gb or more of memory pre SP1 of Vista you could have the 4gb problem.
What exactly is the 4GB problem?
Old September 10, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
What exactly is the 4GB problem?
By default pre-sp1 had issues with some chipsets and 4gb of memory and during install.. BAM .. bsod. Install with 2gb voila.
Old September 12, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

UPDATE: All is well! I was having an issue getting the RAID drivers installed. After that, it was still giving me issues, so I unplugged the HDD so only the SSD's where there. Windows didn't recognize them at first, but I restarted, reset the BIOS to default, set the SSD's to default, put everything back in a RAID 0 array and than had NO PROBLEM at all getting it on :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I will now try to overclock everything (How do I know when to...?)
Old September 12, 2009, 01:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
By default pre-sp1 had issues with some chipsets and 4gb of memory and during install.. BAM .. bsod. Install with 2gb voila.
Good to know. I'm glad I didn't run into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
UPDATE: All is well! I was having an issue getting the RAID drivers installed. After that, it was still giving me issues, so I unplugged the HDD so only the SSD's where there. Windows didn't recognize them at first, but I restarted, reset the BIOS to default, set the SSD's to default, put everything back in a RAID 0 array and than had NO PROBLEM at all getting it on :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I will now try to overclock everything (How do I know when to...?)
glad to hear all is moving along for you. I once had troubles with that too, so I looked around for some info. I was reminded , that because Vista had issues with SATA optical drives, it is necessary to set the controler you have the SATA drive pluged into, to IDE. Though, it might just be a pre SP1/SP2 problem only. I used the ports controled by the JMicron controler when installing Vista and had no issue at all. when my optical drive was connected to the Intel ICH9R along with my HDD's, I would actually get a message saying something about emulation when I booted off of Vista disk and RAID being set for the controler. Keep that in mind for next time.