Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2009, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Default Power Supply Issue?

I've had my rig up and running for over a year now and decided to make some upgrades to let me overclock my CPU. I have not done any overclocking right now though.

This was my rig to start with:
Corsair HX620W
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5B Deluxe
OCZ 4GB PC2-6400
ATI Radeon HD4870 (x2) Crossfire
Auzentech Prelude
3 500GB Hard drives
2 1TB Hard drives
4 120mm fans
Windows 7 RC Build 7100

With this setup my rig ran fine, everything was stock but I never had an issue. I decided to upgrade my CPU heatsink and my ram to 8GB. So during last week I installed new OCZ 8GB PC2-6400 RAM and the computer ran fine, no issues.

Yesturday I installed the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, install went fine but after getting my rig back together I have one issue. I am not getting any screen display on post. It's not until Windows loads that the screen displays anything. My drivers are up to date, but I assume it cannot be a driver issues because it happens before Windows loads and the drivers kick in the screen displays fine. In Windows Crossfire is enabled and games and everything seem to run fine without issues.

The weird thing is if I only run one HD4870 everything works fine, as in the post displays. Both video cards work by themselves. So I believe it's not an issue with either video card. I'm leaning to the power supply not having enough power, even though it works when in Windows.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!
Old August 16, 2009, 07:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Nothing to do with the power supply.

Try different dvi ports on your cards.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:26 AM
Rookie

Yeah I've tried all four but haven't had a single thing from any of them during post. I usually use my DVI to HDMI adapter, but have also tried using a DVI to DVI cable with a different monitor, and still no display during post. Nothing with the video cards have changed since the upgrade in RAM and heat stink. Installed them back in the same locations, and also tried switching them to no avail.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I havnt seen it happen first hand, but I remember on some mobo's there is an option in the bios to initialize display from slot X.

Put one card in, and see if you have that in your bios. Try flipping it from the default (most of the time its a PCI slot) to "PCIE slot 1" and rebooting?

Just a random thought, because its definitely a strange issue
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 16, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

use 2 moniters to configure what display to use, i agree with Squeetard moniter selection dvi port

usally its the closest to rear i/o headers is the default
Old August 16, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i`t's a pretty wierd issue, try to see in windows if your cross-fire setting are all f*****-up. You can also see if the ultra 120 back plate don't touch anything under the mobo ( have seen this issu more with Big typhoon but, always look.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 16, 2009, 09:46 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys, I managed to get it working with all your suggestions. I'll outline what I did just in case anyone else has this issue.

I went back and re-seated both video cards, made sure all connections were perfect. Then I booted into Windows and checked that Crossfire was still enabled and all my settings were correct. After that I plugged in two monitors, one for each card.

After I plugged in the monitors and rebooted I had post on my secondary GPU but the primary was still blank. Once Windows loaded the primary monitor took over. So I made sure all my settings were correct again and rebooted into the bios. I managed to find a setting "Initiate Graphic Adapter" that was set to PCI/PEG. So I assumed right there that was my issue. I reversed it and set it to PEG/PCI and rebooted. Post showed back up on my primary monitor and I was back in business!

Thanks a lot guys for the input!!
Old August 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivyskaguy View Post
Thanks guys, I managed to get it working with all your suggestions. I'll outline what I did just in case anyone else has this issue.

I went back and re-seated both video cards, made sure all connections were perfect. Then I booted into Windows and checked that Crossfire was still enabled and all my settings were correct. After that I plugged in two monitors, one for each card.

After I plugged in the monitors and rebooted I had post on my secondary GPU but the primary was still blank. Once Windows loaded the primary monitor took over. So I made sure all my settings were correct again and rebooted into the bios. I managed to find a setting "Initiate Graphic Adapter" that was set to PCI/PEG. So I assumed right there that was my issue. I reversed it and set it to PEG/PCI and rebooted. Post showed back up on my primary monitor and I was back in business!

Thanks a lot guys for the input!!

I remembered having a similar issue one time. I thought that was how I fixed it, but couldnt be 100%. Glad to hear my head-against-wall troubleshooting fixed your issue. Concussions arnt cool
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to see it working my friend! HWC always the best place for troubleshooting:)

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||