Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I would never try to Boot up a Board without a CPU Heat Sink...even for a only a few minutes / sec.....??!!

Anyhow, don't you have to have a CPU Heat sink Fan oplugged into the CPU Fan Header on the Mobo to get a proper Boot sequence?
No. How do people on water boot up?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'll get my buddy when he gets back to test out my Q6600. He got extra TIM he can gimme should I only need a fan. If the CPU doesn't become hot (More than 75C), IMO it's not fried.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old August 14, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
No idea...no WC (yet) here..I would assume you'd connect all you WC loops, power up pump to test for leaks then power up (boot) the Mobo....or I suppose you could throw a HSF assembly on the CPU and Bench Test it first.....I'll be reseraching if I go that route!!

Old August 14, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
No idea...no WC (yet) here..I would assume you'd connect all you WC loops, power up pump to test for leaks then power up (boot) the Mobo....or I suppose you could throw a HSF assembly on the CPU and Bench Test it first.....I'll be reseraching if I go that route!!
Hrm, I wasnt very clear in my statement: What I was saying is that people on water dont have CPU fans, or a device plugged into the cpu fan connection (normally). We use molex connectors, fan controllers, etc.

Thus, his issue of 'no post' wouldnt be caused by a lack of a CPU fan connection.

Water is great
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 14, 2009, 12:10 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Magic booting power?

*nods*
Old August 14, 2009, 12:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
we jump the 24pin connector to power the pump and bleed the system. to the op, there is a very good chance your chip is dead.

edit; just saw your reply. Yes, some boards may have issues booting up with no fan on the cpu connector, but i haven't seen this in a long time...
Old August 14, 2009, 12:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
Magic booting power?

*nods*
Quick guys, get him before he spreads the secret.I know I haven't seen him in the super-secret WC section.

ImmaPC, if you're in the Surrey area and want to test your Q6600, I've got a "spare parts" HTPC you could try it in. Gigabyte P35 board with an E5200 in it, it would only take 5 minutes to pull the heatsink off and change the CPU.
Old August 14, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm taking him a Q6600 cooler that is NIB. Is he still unsure if his Q6600 even works? I'm wondering if I should bring a system as well?
Old August 14, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well, as it turns out, the heatsink (oh so appreciated for and kindly donated by Perineum) didn't have any affect. Chip is probably dead. *sigh* that's convenient...

I'm heading to my friend's house tomorrow (he lives just a few blocks down from me) and I will test it out there. Will putting a damaged CPU in a good mobo damage the mobo?

Perineum, I should have checked up on this thread and read your last post but I was out almost all day today. Still, I greatly appreciate you delivering me an NIB heatsink...Can I still use it for when I get a new CPU? =D
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old August 15, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure, keep it if you need it....

... and no, in my experience putting a dead cpu in a motherboard won't hurt a motherboard. It just won't do anything.

...... however, a suspected dead psu and a working motherboard is not such a great idea.