Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Disk 0 and Disk 1 in Disk Management (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/21688-disk-0-disk-1-disk-management.html)

MorePower August 7, 2009 07:37 PM

Disk 0 and Disk 1 in Disk Management

1 Attachment(s)
Why is my Primary Disk label as Disk 1 and my Secondary Disk 0? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I noticed this is intermittent. On some startups it's labeled correctly and others it's like in the screenshot below.

My primary is attached to the SATA4 port and the secondary to SATA5 port. These are the two red ports on the side of the board (Asus P5Q Deluxe). They're hooked up to these because I find it's better for cable management.

Now I did some testes and temporally attached my primary to SATA 1 and secondary SATA2. This time after countless startups the drive label is displayed correctly. What could it be that when they are connected to SATA4 and SATA5 they swap now and then? I don't think this is serious but does anyone else have a similar issue?

I found this article below resembling my problem, but as I said before I can't replicate it when attached to SATA1 & 2 ports. So I don't know if it's a Windows problem or that's how my mobo detects the drives when attached to SATA 4 and SATA5 ports.

The disk drive numbers may not correspond as expected to the SATA channel numbers when you set up Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 on a computer that has multiple SATA disks

bojangles August 8, 2009 05:55 AM

Don't change it if you're not having any problems. I couldn't tell you why this is happening though.

gingerbee August 8, 2009 06:06 AM

weird

Squeetard August 8, 2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

There is no assurance of a consistent relationship between PnP enumeration and the order of the hard disks that are detected during setup. Devices are presented in the order in which they are enumerated. Therefore, the disk-assignment numbers may change between startups.
There's the explanation from MS, sounds like a bug.

Chilly August 8, 2009 02:55 PM

It just depends on the order the drive's are finished initialing and started. Don't worry too much about it, its not an issue.

KaptCrunch August 8, 2009 08:25 PM

theres an update 2009/07/24 update 1.2.0.68 for sata

MorePower August 9, 2009 06:58 AM

Thanks but that's an update for the Marvell 88SE6121 controller. I don't use that. This is for the external SATA and the Ultra DMA 133/100/66 for PATA devices.

Anyways I just plugged my drives in SATA1 and SATA2 ports and the problem went away, at least it hasn't happened yet. It must be the way SATA4 and SATA5 ports see the devices. I think SATA5 is on another channel or something.

tyreman August 9, 2009 08:28 AM

is it gigabyte mb?

MorePower August 9, 2009 09:26 AM

Asus P5Q Deluxe.

KaptCrunch August 9, 2009 09:58 AM

i see that you hard same size HDD ? is setting for single or raid in bios

or is a partitioned HDD C: D: or 2 HDD's