Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2007, 05:21 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Like I've said before... I'm surprised you are getting any indication without the cpu and mem installed
crap ! i had no idea it could be that fast. the stock fan & heatsink really do make that big of a difference in that short amount of time ?
i'm still trying to interpret the "+5Vsb" psu warning and what the heck it means.
ok, i guess i'l yank everything out and do an outside the box install with the hs/fan mounted.
Old August 5, 2007, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post

i realize that not cooling the cpu will cause it to shut off, but in under 20 seconds from the time i hit the switch ??
Definitely. This auto-shutdown is probably the only reason you may still have a working CPU. Never even for a second run a CPU, especially a super hot Quad core, without the heatsink. Honestly, I'd not be surprised if it is fried.
Old August 5, 2007, 05:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

so concerned with the bigger picture and it's the little things that will bite me in the butt.
Old August 5, 2007, 07:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This reminds me alot of the +5Vsb Cold Boot Syndrome that plagued some DFI Lanparty motherboards back in the s939 era.

Basically, some Lanparty mobo's +5Vsb circuitry needed amperage above the ATX specification so many power supplies (which were built within the ATX specs) could not power them up at all or the mobo itself would start throwing +5vSB messages.

You may remember that in my first power supply roundup I had a problem with the Enhance 400W PSU not being able to boot up with my DFI SLI DR mobo. Then when I used an Asus SLI mobo the problem went away. This is because the Enhance PSU was spec'd for a lower +5Vsb output than the other PSUs I tested. The DFI mobo wanted more amperage than the Enhance could provide so it failed to boot.

If I remember correctly, one way around this is to disable your USB ports' ability to wake up your computer itf it is on standby.
Old August 5, 2007, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

so i slapped the hs/f on and guess what. IT STAYS POWERED !!
sysmoniter menu reads cpu temp at 40 deg. and mobo at 36 deg. after about 5 mins.
now i just gotta figure out my next step. should i be settting up 1 hd for now and everything else and then go back and do the raid setup later on (gotta find that old floppy drive, hmm...) ?
Old August 5, 2007, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear that your CPU survived.... :)

If you want to do raid or set your Sata drives to run native you'll need to do it before you install your OS.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 5, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
so i slapped the hs/f on and guess what. IT STAYS POWERED !!
sysmoniter menu reads cpu temp at 40 deg. and mobo at 36 deg. after about 5 mins.
now i just gotta figure out my next step. should i be settting up 1 hd for now and everything else and then go back and do the raid setup later on (gotta find that old floppy drive, hmm...) ?
I suspected overheating hence why I asked how long does it stay running when you power it up :P

People don't realize that without a heat sink on your cpu it'll go from 0-80 degrees in a very very very short time and shutoff due to thermal protection.
Old August 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

live and learn eh? and i've got a helluva lot of learning to do here. nice to know that there's a temp failsafe. 40 deg. with the stock hsf sound about right to you guys?
Old August 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
live and learn eh? and i've got a helluva lot of learning to do here. nice to know that there's a temp failsafe. 40 deg. with the stock hsf sound about right to you guys?
Yup 40 is good but lower is better, but its the under load temps that'll matter.
Old August 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

anybody know which raid controller i should choose to enable in the "Raid Config" menu 0, 1 or 2. (evga 680i mobo) or does it matter?
connections are in sata 5 and 6.