Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2007, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

bascially you can't tell if anything is wrong. the motherboard is designed to run with the cpu installed, since there is no cpu it can't power up and your psu is just telling you that.
Buffalo Firestix FSX800D2C-K2G 2X1GB PC2-6400 CL5
OCZ XTC Active Memory Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2
MCE Wireless Keyboard / Remote
Logitech X-530 Speakers
Swiftech H20-220 Water kit
Swiftech MCW30 NB Cooling
OCZ PowerStream 600W
Old August 3, 2007, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post
i realize this.
my initial question was if anyone knew why the psu was shutting down immediatly. what does the +5Vsb mean, and is it bad.
forgive my ignoance on the matter but the little bit i know about pc's is self-taught.
and i'm a lousy teacher !
does your power supply have a 4 or 8 pin 12v atx? If everything is plugged in fine then I'm gonna say you got a faulty power supply, but you'll need a power supply tester to confirm that.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How can you even guess that when he is powering up a motherboard with no CPU or ram? He needs to install all the parts so the thing can attempt to post and then he can start diagnosing any problems if there even are.

NO CPU + NO MEMORY = NO SYSTEM POST. Period. No system post means no system diagnostics have been run.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
How can you even guess that when he is powering up a motherboard with no CPU or ram? He needs to install all the parts so the thing can attempt to post and then he can start diagnosing any problems if there even are.

NO CPU + NO MEMORY = NO SYSTEM POST. Period. No system post means no system diagnostics have been run.
If the board has a speaker it'll beep... if not then he needs one. No the system will not post to screen but it'll error out and post to speaker.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

well, i post and make it to the BIOS CMOS Setup Utility screen, and then it just powers off.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post
well, i post and make it to the BIOS CMOS Setup Utility screen, and then it just powers off.
Have you tried another power supply? Does the same situation occur?

How long does it take before it shuts off? Can you get into the hardware monitor to check cpu temps?
Old August 4, 2007, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You need to post just how much you have put this PC together and if you installed the cooling for the CPU. The symptoms you are explaining could be some many different things and I find it hard to believe a 1K PSU in all it's cost and glory would be DOA (not that it isn't possible). If you are not cooling the CPU properly, it will shut off quickly. If the motherboard is grounding out on something inside the case it will shut off quickly. You really need to be much more specific.
Old August 4, 2007, 09:47 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I have never ever needed to plug the molex onto the motherboard its unecessary.
You don't run a pair of high-end cards.

Old August 5, 2007, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You need to post just how much you have put this PC together and if you installed the cooling for the CPU. The symptoms you are explaining could be some many different things and I find it hard to believe a 1K PSU in all it's cost and glory would be DOA (not that it isn't possible). If you are not cooling the CPU properly, it will shut off quickly. If the motherboard is grounding out on something inside the case it will shut off quickly. You really need to be much more specific.
so i've checked the psu with my wife's pc and it powers it fine and stays powered on. i hauled it back to mine convinced the psu is good (i hope). connect the 24 pin main pwr cable and the 8 pin (also tried the 4+4 pin cpu pwr cable) proc is in (q6600) cpu heatsink has the fan connected but is not mounted to the cpu yet. 2 gigs of OCZ Reaper pc2-8500 ram installed in slots 0 and 1. vid card 8800 gts with 6 pin pwr cable plugged in,1 hd and 1 dvd drive.
Quote:
If you are not cooling the CPU properly, it will shut off quickly
i realize that not cooling the cpu will cause it to shut off, but in under 20 seconds from the time i hit the switch ??
Old August 5, 2007, 06:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep.

No signal for CPU present/good = immediate shutdown.

Like I've said before... I'm surprised you are getting any indication without the cpu and mem installed.

You cannot verify anything without the cpu / mem installed.

If you have the cpu installed without proper cooling, not only will the board shut down within 20 sec, but the cpu itself might fry within 10 sec.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP