Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2009, 08:16 AM
Rookie

Default My heatsink is not properly put on, can anyone help?

Ok this is my problem.

Today I bought a E8400 and it came with a heatsink that I attempted to put on after putting in the processor. I fastened 2 out of the 4 plugs or whatever you want to call them, however, when trying to put the 2 on the other side down, it simply would not reach. The other 2 are stuck inside and I can't get them out. I've twisted the top of them and tried to get them out, but they simply won't budge. I've turned the motherboard and attempted to pinch the back, but it still won't come out.

If I try to force the other side down, it feels like the motherboard is bending, I hear a creaking sound, and well, I think any more pressure and it'll break.

How can I remove the heatsink correctly? I believe that I have put on the processor incorrectly. I've tried to follow the guide but it's useless honestly.

Any help would be muchly appreciated, Cheers.
Old July 28, 2009, 08:25 AM
MVP
F@H

did you happen to fasten your pins in an "x" direction? meaning across from each other? .. (as stated in your user manual)

Old July 28, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the HWC forums!!

You have to turn the slotted plastic top pieces which will allow you to gently pull the piece up and release the cooler. When you are done you turn the top piece back to use it again. Google is your friend!!

::- Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 DIY Guide -::
Old July 28, 2009, 08:40 AM
Rookie

Hi guys thanks for the fast response, I've turned them so they face in the 'x', however, I can't seem to yank it out of the socket. I've tried pulling it out, and everything. I looked at the guide and it doesn't show the procedure of pulling it out.

When I twisted the pins though, they made a creaking sound which was quite loud, could it mean that I broke them?
Old July 28, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Once you have turned the pins into the unlocked position you must pull them up so they are no longer holding the claws in the spread position. Then you carefully pull on the cooler until it disengages from the board.
Old July 28, 2009, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Thanks a lot, appreciated, it managed to come out and I managed to secure it properly this time. Great guide and everything too, you can close this thread if you want.
Old July 28, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to help, good luck with your E8400. (great chip)
Old July 28, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good luck with that chip... and once you get into overclocking.... get an aftermarket heatsink and OC the cr*p out of it! :)