Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2009, 07:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default botched clone?

I cloned a Hard drive using acronis, it informed me that it completed successfully. I attached the clone i had just created to my system and booted up, I was able to open several files, and everything looked intact. On the original system I then used the built in recovery partition to wipe the source drive and reinstall the OS. I then went to copy the data from the clone I had created, but the folder i need is named < a bunch of ascii squares> and the folder contains nothing. I did a data recovery on both drives and couldnt find the folder. Im trying to wrap my head around what could have possibly happened. The only thing I can think of is that the folder was encrypted, and I dont have the software inplace to read the directory properly now.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
Old July 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If it's encrypted, you have the certificates, right?
So it's all ASCII characters or just letters and numbers? If just letters and numbers, it could be a hidden update file, which when you copied it, might have somehow lost its system/hidden flag.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you used CLONE mode in Acronis it does not matter if you have hidden or encrypted files, partitions or whatever - because it is a bit for bit copy rather than a file copy - it basically does a mirror copy of your HDD's sectors - so your destination drive should match your original.
Old July 28, 2009, 05:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The thing is I wasnt made aware of anything special going on with this drive. The folder i need is in the exact directory tree location that it was while the OS on the drive was active. Yep it looks like a bunch of ascii squares. I dont have any certificates. Im going to try cloning back to a sata notebook drive, and booting from it and see if any certificates that might have been in place kick in.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:23 AM
MVP

Well only you would know what was on your drive.
Is it a specific file you had special info on?
if it isn't who knows
Its pretty hard to say really for 100% sure without being there and seeing everything.
Is it effecting the operation of the clone drive or the new OS drive without its access?
Maybe a protected file-+ who knows?
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; July 29, 2009 at 06:19 AM.