Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Default Help Heat Sink

Alright so I was excited to work on my new i7 build this weekend as I just got my HSF.
My Heat sink is Theralright's ultra 120 extreme:

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

My problem is this everything seems fine however the 1366 backplate that came with the HSF doesn't really fit. The four corners of the backplate don't go in well. I can only get two corners in at a time. Only top or only bottom. Should I attempt to bend the plate or go to a store and buy another 1366 backplate. I should mention that it's really close to fitting not far off. It's just a tiny bit not aligned

My motherboard is the EVGA sli LE:

EVGA | Products

I'm really frustrated I wanted to get this done this weekend.

As always any help would be appreciated.

It's just a piece of metal and I don't want to send everything back to get a backplate.

Last edited by SEVEN; July 24, 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: error
Old July 24, 2009, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Did you try turning the backplate in different orientation?

Old July 25, 2009, 01:58 AM
MVP
F@H

maybe a pic to help us visualize?
Old July 25, 2009, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

pics for sure will help?
Old July 25, 2009, 06:38 AM
Rookie

Default Pictures kind of

Ok so I know pictures would have helped but I'm at my relatives house for the weekend and there is no digital camera around. I'm still trying to find one so I'll post some pics if I find one.

In the meantime I will try and explain better with some random pictures I found.

First I respond to one of the comments by saying yes I have tried it in many different orientations tried for about an hour at least.

Now my backplate that goes on the back of the motherboard looks something like this
Thermalright XWB attachment except that the black part is completely flat; I just want to show you that there are 4 silver screw holes that rise out of the backplate like in this picture. It is these four screw holes that come out of the backplate that won't line up and insert into the back of the motherboard I want those four rising silver screw holes to go into my motherboard from the back so that it ends up like the attachment cooler1.

My problem is that the four screw holes that rise out of the backplate don't line up with all of the holes in the motherboard perfectly it's of by a very small amount.

I know that isn't too much help but has anyone experienced an issue like this?
Attached Images

Old July 25, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry i am at a loss here i would not bend it cause then the screws will not go in straight. sorry ( your screws don't reach through just a question? )
Old July 25, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Default Thanks

The screws do reach through but even if I were to screw them one the silver screw holes will not go in its slot on the motherboard the three other slots go in the motherboard though. Like I said it's really close to fitting. (hard to explain though)

Anyway right now I'm going to try and find a computer parts store to see if I could find a similar backplate. I will probably half to call Thermalright on Monday to see if I can get a replacement backplate.

If I bought the part from DirectCanada should I contact Thermalright or Direct Canada? I would say Thermalright but I just want to make sure.

Last edited by SEVEN; July 25, 2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: error